Views from the Bottom

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
On my recent hike to Mt Tom via Ethan Pond Tr, Zealand Hut and the A-Z Tr, I came across my new favorite View from the Bottom in the Whites (my old favorite was Lonesome Lake). Near where Zeacliff Tr junction with the Ethan Pond Tr there's a spot where you come out of the trees and can see amazing views in all directions. East is the cliffs of Whitewall Mtn, southwest you see the Bonds, to the west you look down into a valley and then up to Zeacliff, and to the north you see Zealand Hut nestled in the forest with some smallish peaks beyond. After hiking in for 3 hours with not much in the way of long-range views (though a beautiful forested hike), I was awestruck by the beauty of this location. I plopped myself down onto a convenient boulder and enjoyed a snack while drinking in the views.

Anyone else have some favorite Views from the Bottom they'd like to share?

The view from the bottom(floor) of King Ravine is one of my all time favorites!
I could stay there for hours.

It is not really the bottom - but it is certainly not the top...I love the stretch between Waumbek and Starr King - a gentle, meandering mile that has numerous blow down patches, lots of vegetation, moose activity etc...

Another similar locale that I love (that is not a summit) is Zeta Pass. You can clearly see why they do not allow camping in that area - it would be overrun!

This is funny, when I saw that you were planning that trip I was going to suggest that you stop for a break at that very spot.......actually the same rock ! Great spot to soak in the views. :)

Dave

I think my favorites are:
1. Just below the fan in Huntington Ravine.
2. Hermit Lakes in Tuckerman Ravine
3. Chimney Pond in Baxter State Park

I like the towering walls surrounding these areas!

in Acadia

Going a little away from the Whites, I really enjoy hiking into the notch in-between Cadillac and Dorr Mountains in ANP. The route via the A. Murray Young comes out of the woods and reveals great views from within the valley between the two peaks. A great place to relax and forget about how many people are up above on Cadillac.

ADK Views from the Bottom:

Marcy Dam Looking towards Colden and Wright.

Pyramid Peak looking up at Gothics/Basin. (Ok maybe not the *bottom* but still relatively low)

North end of the lower Ausable looking up at the range. (anyone got a winter shot of this one?)

Striking view of Gothics as seen from the 5th? hole in the Ausable club.

-percious

There are some nice viewpoints from the Great Gulf, including the Bluff and the vicinity of the intersection of the Wamsutta and Six Husbands trails.

Square ledge and lost pond immediately come to mind right by pinkham.

As a hiker who likes to follow the riverbeds with a flyrod more often than the trails to summits, some of the views from the peabody, and better yet, west branch of the peabody are pretty incredible.

I'll third chimney pond, it's easily my favorite
here's a very crude panorama I made
chimneypond.jpg