Vittorio Sella Exhibit in Boston

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,

http://www.panopticongallery.com/exhibitions/index.html

For those not familiar with the name, Vittorio Sella (1859-1943) was the photographer at the turn of the nineteenth century who brought photographs of high altitude mountaineering to the rest of the world. He accompanied the Duke of Abruzzi on his explorations across the world, most notably perhaps, on K2 in 1909.

The Panopticon Gallery on Comm Ave currently has an exhibition of his work, showing until Nov 8. Hours are limited, 10-5:30, but I suspect that if you can get over to the gallery when it's open, it will certainly be worth the trip.

Brian

Thanks for the reminder. I had seen an ad for this not long ago but had just as quickly forgotten about it. I had viewed a selection of his work that was co-displayed with some Brad Washburn prints about 5 years ago. My sometimes faulty memory believes it was at the Highland Center. A short time later more of his work was displayed at a prep school in Andover. Some absolutely awesome images, particularly considering he was filming with glass plates and was developing them in the field; one of his fields being the Baltoro Glacier. Not long after that a friend sent me a copy of Sella's "Summit" as a present. I thumb through it constantly, marvelling at the images. This is a 'can't miss' for me.

JohnL

Latest posts