VT info...Mendon trip SAT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
Hi all, any input from anyone in the Killington area as to natural snow cover at summits would be most welcome. I am looking at Mendon and Killington with my son this Sat...march off some turkey!! I don't have traction for him, but can figure something out with the gear i have...stabilicers may be alittle big for his boots but could make do if neccessary....so i'm just wondering whats up there at the top other than man made snow. i get the feeling our warm up last week took down most of what had begun to accumulate.
Any one looking to accompany, at this point i hope to start from Wheelerville Rd. no later than 10am, hopefully closer to 9:30am..hope to be driving from NH and not CT....i will be checking back to this thread through mid-day FRI....thanks, in advance....ctsparrow warning...my son will yak your ears off, but he is interesting!! :eek:

Further north, along the Abraham/Ellen ridge, there was just a dusting at the lower elevations and maybe a half-inch up high last Sunday. Not enough to be able to use any kind of traction device. Fortunately for us, the ground was still warm from the previous week, so any open slabs or rocks tended to be dry. Fortunately for you, the route up to Mendon doesn't have anything like that to contend with. The spur trail to Killington from Cooper Lodge is the only spot where you might have a real issue, as it's very steep and rocky, plus the summit ledges themselves. That's a spot to be careful.

Given that it looks like today's forecast storm never reached up there to drop rain or freezing rain, I think you might be okay; hopefully someone who's been up there more recently than last Sunday.

thanks michaelJ....i have done the Killington spur trail in true winter conditions...gotta love that snow....i figure i can walk my son up a ski trail from cooper lodge if neccesary for that part...although they have been making snow and this might be slippery as well but as you said not ice on rocks...ctsparrow

Given that Killington's web site doesn't indicate having gotten any precip today, Friday is supposed to be nice in the 40's and Saturday in the 50's, I'd say you'll probably be all set! :)

ctsparrow said:
I am looking at thanks, in advance....ctsparrow warning...my son will yak your ears off, but he is interesting!! :eek:

Give Him the Map and Compass and he won't be yaking;he'll be bushwacking instead...Yea! IMO this hike is an excellent hike to put to practice Bjorn Kjellstrom's book. Lot's to be learned.I did Pico along with Mendon/ and Killington.The longest and somewhat surprising part of this wack for me was from Mendon over to "K" town/intersection with the AT/LT. Just a tad longer than I thought at the time :eek: ...Nice Woods Though!

Did you guys ever make it? I didnt see a log in the book from 11/25, but I did see one from 11/27 (there was like a 2 month gap between the 11/27 and the one before which was September I think?)