Wading up the Great Gulf Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Went up Great Gulf Trail from Dolly Copp. Wanted to go to Washington summit, but forecast wiped out that plan. Plan B was to at least get to Spaulding Lake, but the group decided to turn around at Six Husbands junction due to the trail becoming a stream. The previous days' rain made the trail less than optimal. By the time we got back to the first major river crossing, someone had strung a piece of parachute cord from tree-to-tree across the river. This of course totally ruined our wilderness experience. But we conveniently put our indignation on hold for a few minutes while we used the rope to cross the river.

The out-and-back trek
Great-Gulf-M.jpg

Great-Gulf-11Aug2012-M.jpg

Gary on the wobbly bridge on the GG Trail ...it is less wobbly and has new timber since 2009
[video]http://walkinginthewoods.smugmug.com/Hiking-Backpacking-and-1/2012/Great-Gulf-WMNF-August-11-2012/24742646_cB7NqQ#!i=2024025602&k=FTdT8Sm&lb=1&s=A[/video]

The turn-around point
[video]http://walkinginthewoods.smugmug.com/Hiking-Backpacking-and-1/2012/Great-Gulf-WMNF-August-11-2012/24742646_cB7NqQ#!i=2024038357&k=gD8wst7&lb=1&s=A[/video]

Back at the campsite, some light-painting photos with headlamps and 20-second exposures
IMG6505-M.jpg

IMG6507-M.jpg

IMG6510-M.jpg

By the time we got back to the first major river crossing, someone had strung a piece of parachute cord from tree-to-tree across the river. This of course totally ruined our wilderness experience. But we conveniently put our indignation on hold for a few minutes while we used the rope to cross the river.

<greenie> The GG is very near the top of my list of favorite trails, maybe even #1 but it is definitely a wet one and if memory serves me correct only gets worse after the 6 husbands jct until Spaulding but glad to see you guys had some fun out there nonetheless.