Wapack Trail End-to-End Hike, 10/20/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Sorry for the short notice on this one, but here’s the weekend plans.

I’m hiking with Trail Trotter on Saturday in Southern New Hampshire and a bit of Massachusetts. We’re planning to do an end-to-end hike of the Wapack Trail on Saturday, 10/20. We’ll spot a vehicle at the south end and then hike North-to-South starting at the Old Mountain Road trailhead in Greenfield, NH.

The hike is ~21 miles and ~5,000 feet. Based on information from past hikes, we expect the hike time should be around ten hours.

We’re planning to set off from the north trailhead approximately 7:00am.

If you’re interested in joining this hike please respond to this thread or by PM.

My normal pace is moderate, which is usually “book time”. We’ll probably push that a little on this hike.

:D

:( I hate to miss this one, but am not free this Sat. If it were Sunday, I would be so there. It's definitely my favorite close-by, full-day hike. Have fun. I can't wait for the TR.

Early Bird,

The National Weather Service hourly weather forecast for the area has the probability of precipitation down to under 20% starting around 8:00am (compared to a high probability of heavy rain until early afternoon in the Whites). It seems the southern hikes will be a better choice for Saturday. I'm sure it will be a good day. :D

Since the hunter population is on the rise at this time of year I expect the wildlife is getting a bit skittish and we probably won't see the amount enjoyed by you, the Dogsitter, and dRitter earlier this year. I've been looking for the right time to do this hike since reading your report. This is it. :)

We'll make the most of the day. I hope there's something interesting to report.

Sorry you can't join in. :(

Good luck with the weather. I'd wait for Sunday, for a sure thing, but maybe you will escape down in the southern half. I've never tried the Wapack before, except for Pack Monadnock, and I'd like to do it all sometime! Have fun!

grouseking