warm fuzzies and other sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
Got a couple things I need help IDing

First are two tufts of hair I found on the ground today. They are very soft, not coarse at all and were found about 10 feet apart along a trail that is frequented by wolves, coyote and deer. I'm thinking rabbit. Thoughts?

And then there are these tracks. I found them several weeks ago and was thinking they were bobcat due to the lack of nail marks and the shape of the pads. The hind track threw me though, as it looks more canine. I've been going back and forth between bobcat or coyote and can't decide. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
As a fly tyer I should be better with hair, but I simply don't know.

I am confident that the first track, is definately a bobcat. No claws showing, and size/shape is right. Second track is a little elongated for bobcat, but still no claws so it's not a dog(esk), but it could just be a result of the soft sand.

Others weighing in would solidify my mindset...

w7xman said:
As a fly tyer I should be better with hair, but I simply don't know.

I am confident that the first track, is definately a bobcat. No claws showing, and size/shape is right. Second track is a little elongated for bobcat, but still no claws so it's not a dog(esk), but it could just be a result of the soft sand.

Others weighing in would solidify my mindset...

Both of the tracks were found together, definately the same animal made both. The more elongated one is the hind foot, and the one that really looks like bobcat is the front. I should have measured the stride but didn't. A wolf biologist told me the tracks were coyote, but I'm not sure I agree.

I think the fur is definately rabbit. I also think the tracks are bobcat; the spread toes, retracted claws, and M shaped heelpad.

Here's a link to some bobcat tracks (although I bet you've seen this link before)

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...t+tracks&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=2

<edit> I see what you are saying about the hind track, but imagine this, the cat may have been pouncing on the rabbit and that may explain the digging in on the toes. The heelpad still has the M shape of a cat track. And wouldn't there be well defined claw marks with a canine track?

Very cool! I bet you came upon a site where a bobcat had killed and fed on a rabbit.

Last edited:
With some tracks you have to be careful about which you interpret as the front versus the rear paw. Relative placement can depend on the gait.

I'm no expert on tracks but I'd say they were feline over canine.

Have you ever seen the hind tracks of a snowshoe hare? They are as large as my hand. I thought I was tracking saskwatch one winter near Indian Pond, 100 mile wilderness, then came upon bobcat tracks following the same critter. I was curious. Wanted to learn the outcome of this chase. I don't know if they plotted this but they led me right into a spruce trap! The tracks disappeared with no sign of the outcome and I happily retained my place in the food chain.

Based on your description "They are very soft, not coarse at all"
Sounds like "wabbit" to me.

The lack of claw marks and the two-lobed heal pads lead me to believe the tracks are likely bobcat, not coyote.

Latest posts