Washing machine recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
What the *%&^ is this jerk posting this here?

Well, I just thought I'd ask since I will eventually need a new washing machine while I run my current one into the ground, before I need one was wondering if there is actually a relatively inexpensive one that I could use to wash delicate items like down sleeping bags, etc. etc.?

I would buy a top loading one but thinking the Front loaders might be better for gentile stuff because the lack of the needed agitator.

Yes, I know FLer's are much more energy efficient, but being a single guy, it's not going to save me any more money based on my usage, if I was a family of 5 doing laundry 3 times a week, then yes... but not me at the moment. However, some inexpensive FLrs are not too much more than TLrs and isn't in the insanity price range...

Just wondering... :)

Jay

I'm going to let you in on a couple of secrets. First, bring it to a laundr-o-mat. Cheaper in the long run and I don't think most home washers are made to handle sleeping bags. Others may have a more informed opinion on this. Second secret, I never wash my sleeping bags. They stink, but not so much they actually offend me. They haven't lost any of its insulating value. Unless your bag is so filthy, to the point of loosing some of its insulating value why clean it? Seriously. Personally I don't want to get into a "summer fresh" bag that smells to a bear like its a human burrito. ;) :D :p

Just my opinion.

YMMV,
Keith

Last edited:
funny you ask - my machine did the ole "leak over the god-damn basement floor" 2 months ago and this time, we went for the front loader -

it uses way less water, and you are correct - it is way gentler, quiter, and is probably better for bags, etc...

they are much pricier though, but worth it, they use less water, less electric, and I will bet clothes will last longer as well. My old machine use to ruin clothes on occasion.

Last edited:
I agree with Keith. I think I washed my winter down bag once(?), and only when I let a thru-hiker friend (and dog) borrow it when he was in a jam.

I just keep my bags aired out and hanging all the time. No wonder nobody wants to share a tent with me.....

washing helps loft

I've washed my down bags several times using a regular top loader and they definitely loft up nicer after.

I can highly recomend a Staber washing machine. Its energy star rated and has very low water consumption. They are built like commercial machines and run well off of inverters (for all those offgridders). They are built in Ohio. The bizarre part is that they are top load horizontal axis machine. So they work like a front loader but dont have any seals to fail as the clothes are put in the drum from the top thru a hatch in the drum. I can almost wear my polypro clothing hiking without drying them, as the unit really drives out any free water. It has all mechanical switches and timers, no transmission, no agitator and a stainless steel drum. No phantom power loads when the unit is not running. They are priced similiar to a neptune but are far more robust. I have run into folks with 15 years service.

They are drop shipped from the factory and you order them through a solar equipment supplier. Altenergystore.com has them.

As for washing sleeping bags, down soap on gentle cycle with a horizontal axis machine will work but be prepared for clumpy feathers for awhile and a possible loss in rating. Then again if the bag is filthy, you already probably have a loss in rating.

peakbagger said:
As for washing sleeping bags, down soap on gentle cycle with a horizontal axis machine will work but be prepared for clumpy feathers for awhile and a possible loss in rating. Then again if the bag is filthy, you already probably have a loss in rating.

My mother in law washes her down vest with 2-3 balls in the drier, which constantly hit the vest and stop the down from clumping.

Fish

After all is said and done, I just bought a cheapo Whirlpool 3.2 cf top loader that was a scratch and dent sale at Lowes for $279. Frankly, I don't even understand the need for a million different cycles. I'm a guy, I put all my clothes into the thing, add detergent and select the normal cycle. I have never used any other cycle and don't see myself ever caring. I've never even used anything other than cold water... :)

Jay

If anyone wants to talk about washing gear, feel free to continue posting in this thread. Otherwise, I'll just shut it down, OK?

-dave-

You probably all know this but placing tennis balls in the dryer really helps fluff it up. I use 5-6.
I bring my sleeping bags to the laundry because I hate that cellar flood.