Washington & snowshoes this Saturday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Quick question; I’m hiking Washington on Saturday weather permitting and was wondering if it would be advisable to carry snowshoes given the impending storm and the amount of snow predicted? Also, which sections of the Tucks-Lion Head route would be more prone to drifts?

Always bring 'em, rarely need 'em. Especially above treeline...

MadRiver said:
Quick question; I’m hiking Washington on Saturday weather permitting and was wondering if it would be advisable to carry snowshoes given the impending storm and the amount of snow predicted? Also, which sections of the Tucks-Lion Head route would be more prone to drifts?
While that depends on the direction of the wind, the only place I've ever encountered substantial drifts is the last 1/4 mile or so just below treeline. The prevailing wind is from the NW, and that last bit of scrub trees tends to catch the snow picked up by the wind as it crosses that wide ravine (Raymond's Cataract?).

I can't imagine needing snowshoes on the Lionshead trail. I drove up there one winter through a snowstorm (it took me 6 hours of driving rather than 3) and pulled into Pinkham notch through a half a foot of unplowed snow in the parking lot. I though "Great! I'll be able to break trail up Washington!". Amazingly, the trail was already well broken out and a few people had already gone up Lions Head.

The same thing happened when I camped at Hermit Lake recently. It snowed about 6 inches overnight. I got up and started hiked at 8am and the Lions Head trail was, once again, broken out. I think there are little trail gremlins that break out the trail every snowstorm.

I'd bring the snowshoes, especially if you get an earlier start than most people.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
More important than snowshoes will be checking the avalanche forecast.

Reaching the summit is optional; returning to your car is not.

Where abouts on the Lion Head route would an avalanche take place? Would it be between where the trail takes a sharp left and the Alpine Garden Trail?

MadRiver said:
Where abouts on the Lion Head route would an avalanche take place? Would it be between where the trail takes a sharp left and the Alpine Garden Trail?
The Lion Head winter route is open. It avoids the slide paths that are on the summer route. After all this snow and looking at the Avalanche report I'd go that route or even some other route, like Boot Spur or something from the West side.
I'd probably take snowshoes for this weekend - trails won't be packed out too fast after this one.

Good thread with discussion about the routes:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15148&

Last edited:
Does anyone have a map that they can post showing the winter route vs. the summer route and were the two start and finish?

if avy gets rated in extreme, you need to make a honest assement of your plans.

Not just the ravines can slide on that peak. Some of them snowfeilds on the cone are easily 25-30 degrees. they might slide once a year and it maybe be after this big snow this year. \\not saying don't try it, just talk to rangers, they will be around this weekend, or swing by the harvard cabin and ask questions. it may blow off the cone and it may not.

just b/c its the winter route that avoids most avy paths doesn't mean its immune from sliding, its steep, and can load.

hope this helps. just my 2 cents on the matter.

Good point, Giggy.
Most avalanches happen on 30-45 degree slopes but can happen on 25 slopes. The eastern snowfields do reach 30 degrees.

Just stumbled on this excellent page on tuckerman.org:
http://tuckerman.org/avalanche/terrainandconditions.htm

There is a list in there (search for "table 2" on the page) of avalanche prone terrain that is a good guide of places to avoid after a big snowfall.

Last edited:
If you are going up the Lion's Head winter route, I would be more inclined to ask if you were taking your crampons & at least one ice axe.
You may or may not need snowshoes. Most areas will be blown clean, but it doesn't all blow off the mountain. It does collect in areas & therefore would say take them after this storm. A smaller pair would be ideal.
But like giggy said: "watch the avalanche warning posts" & listen to them.

My first trip above treeline on the Presidential range in winter left me really stunned saying, "Where is all the snow? They look so white from a distance."
But we lost the trail between Pierce & Eisenhower in light blowing snow. In search of the trail I found my very first "Spruce Trap". It was deep! And I did have snowshoes on, which made it hard to get out.

So.......Think & listen to all of the advice & make the call. Safe Trip!

Thanks for the information and links. Stupid question, are there two Harvard Cabins. Your map shows one in Huntington’s bowl, while googling Harvard Cabin they give me directions to a dirt road 1.6 miles form the 302/16 junction. I’m confused.

p.s. I will have crampons and an ice axe. I might carry my sister's 21" shoes instead of my 30".

I'm sure the reference was to the one in Huntington Ravine. I believe the other is a lodge in Jackson.
They should have the info at Pinkham Notch. And you probably already know to register your plans there as well.

Make sure to check the Pinkham pack room for the daily conditions when you are there. Weather reports are usually posted pretty early in the am, but the daily avalanche report might only be posted around 8-9am.

yes - there are 2 harvard cabins. The one I am talking about is located at the base of huntington ravine, mostly ice climbers crash there to get an early start - and plus its a cool place, stove, etc.... there is a caretaker who usually have good inof on whats going on - on the hill.

use all the resources you can get. 99% of the time, I wopuld not take shoes on washington coming from this way (east/ rt16), the trail is always packed to ravines and then your pretty much on ice/rock, hard snow. I think this weekend might be different if they are getting all the snow they say they are.

I did the Franconia Ridge, Little Haystack to Lafayette, on Sunday and didn't need my shoes, even though I brought them. I've been on the Northern Presidential ridge between Adams and Jefferson and didn't need shoes either. In both cases, I had crampons on the entire way.

High winds are forecast for tomorrow as the Nor'easter moves to the east with a strong high pressure system right behind, so I suspect there will be extreme loading on any slopes on the east side of the Presi's. Albert Dow got killed by an avalanche on the Winter Lions Head Trail in 1982.

I think that either the Ammo or Jewell would be a safer approach this weekend, along with an almost 700 ft elevation advantage from the the Cog Base.

Good luck and be safe.

Latest posts