Washington Weather Reports by Radio

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Has anyone used a radio to obtain weather reports from the washington KMWN station? We stayed at RMC's Gray Knob cabin last winter and they were able to pick up the weather statistics for washington (and forecasts) in the morning by radio.

I was wondering if radios such as motorola's T450R or Garmin's Rino series would pick this type of radio frequency up. Is KMWN FRS or GMRS or something different?

www.mountwashington.org links to a NOAA page for hourly weather reports that lists:

"(KMWN) 44-16N 071-18W 1910M" at the top of their page

and

"ob KMWN 240251Z 30030KT 0SM FZFG VV000 M04/M04 RMK SGE00 VRY LGT ICG" further down for washington.

Are these the different frequencies that KMWN transmits on??? And is this a transmission directly from Mount Washington, or NOAA or both?

The $80 dollar FCC fee doesnt bother me, I already have an FCC account and feel that more and more I am venturing into winter scenarios where a two-way radio with solid communications and weather reporting ability may be worthwhile to have.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what you are referring to. I often pick up the NOAA VHF (162 MHz) weather broadcasts on the drive up (my car can get the NOAA stations on the radio). I have also received NOAA weather from the Moats ridge. Should be doable at most higher places in the Whites. No license required.

If you want a 2-way radio, get a ham license. A Kenwood TH-F6A http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5019&Group=5 or http://www.hamradio.com/ is a nice lightweight 144(2M)/220/440 FM handheld transciever with a general coverage receiver. (Yes, it can get NOAA weather, AM, FM, TV audio, etc.) Add a lightweight twinlead J-pole antenna for more range. There are about 5 2M repeaters spread around on hilltops around the Whites (including Mt. Washington and Cannon). Probably, the only better radio would be a sat-phone ($$$).

And, of course, cell phones work from some places in the hills.

Doug

There is a weather phone # for the Summit Obs--(603) 356-0300. Don't call on the hour ( or a few minutes either side of the hour) aas they have regular hourly transmissions to NOAA and the NWS in Gray.

Obviously, one wouldn't abuse the use of this phone line, but it is there.
Hikers/campers with cell phone service might think about this option for up-to-date weather info from the higher elevations.

Breeze

blacklab2020 said:
I spoke with the summit weather desk and what we heard last year was their daily morning report. It was quite useful.

TX 468.950 MHz
RX 463.950 MHz
PL 123.0 MHz

It goes out at ~7:00 am +/- 10 minutes and it is NOT repeated.
Thanks--I knew that the hut crews received an early morning weather report, but I didn't know the details. (I presume this is the broadcast to them.)

FWIW, the Kenwood TH-F6A that I mentioned earlier should be able to receive these transmissions if you are within range. (It won't transmit on them.)

Doug

Last edited:
blacklab2020 said:
Thanks for the heads up on HAM and the TH-F6A. I was not sure where to start, and this seems to have solved the problem. The radio specs look quite nice.
Sure. A technician license (a level of ham license) is pretty easy to get. Some theory and regs, no code. You can get books to help and there are likely to be courses and exams given in your area. Lots of info available from the ARRL (American Radio Relay League): http://www.arrl.org/.

Keith (SAR-EMT40)--another ham--pointed this HT (Handy-Talkie = walkie-talkie) out to me and has more experience using it in the Whites than I do. A nice little toy. I have all the White Mountain repeaters programmed into mine...

I'll bet its even useful for long above T-line hikes in winter... :)

BTW, if the main Lion battery pack runs down or suffers from the cold, the auxilliary AA battery pack can be filled with lithium AAs.

Doug

Latest posts