Western Maine 9/2-7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We're going to Western Maine, starting Sunday for about 6 days. Going to try to hit as many 4Ks as possible. No hard and fast plans, but so far, the weather looks to be favorable at least.

Anyone else going to be up that way?

A couple of questions:

It looks like the cell phone might as well be left home, according to the Verizon coverage map? Correct?

As I recall, most of the 4K's do not have a lot of water sources along the way, and it is best to bring it with you, correct? I remember a water source near the top of the Bigelows, but is it reliable? It's been a pretty dry summer down here, what about up there? Any other reliable water sources?

Any suggestions where to eat/drink in the Rangely / Stratton area are also welcome! Maybe we'll get a little advance work done for VNB Maine! :D

Tom -

Wish I was up at my camp in Rangeley then. Would love to join you!

Re. your questions:

1. Verizon cell service does work out there, but its reception is spotty in the mountains. Works great in Rangeley and Kingfield and close to the lakes, where it is wide open.

2. Re. water, that depends on your trip route of course. There has been lots of recent rain up there (1.4 inches on Friday/Saturday), after a couple of dry weeks. Hopefully that means water in the streams. Re. your specific question, there is a box spring on the AT between the col and Avery Peak. I think it is reliable. There is also an unreliable spring near the top of the Firewarden Trail near the tent platforms at Avery (Bigelow) Col. Beyond that, Horns Pond always has water.

3. Some restaurants in Rangeley/Stratton:
• Parkside & Main – Route 4, Main Street in downtown Rangeley – good food, but nothing fancy. Nice views of Rangeley Lake, has nice outside deck dining. Great place!
• Loon Lodge – Route 4, east of downtown Rangeley – fine gourmet dining in a very romantic setting, not cheap, though.
• Mooseley Bagels? – Route 4, Main Street in downtown Rangeley – good breakfasts.
• Sarge’s - Route 4, in downtown Rangeley – pub.
• Rangeley Inn - Route 4, in downtown Rangeley – hotel restaurant and pub. Good food and tap brews.
• Hungry Trout - Route 4, east of downtown Rangeley – good food and creative menu.
• Porterhouse – Route 27 in Eustis, north of Stratton – excellent steak and seafood for a reasonable price; great value!

I can also advise you of restaurants if you head west to Oquossoc, ME. Just PM me.

Hope you have a great trip.

Regards,
Marty

Last edited:
Most water sources should be dependable. It`s rained quite a bit up there over the last month and a half. I know - I`ve been hiking in it. I got a good Verizon signal at the store on Rt 27 + the access road to Sugarloaf. Have fun.

Tom -
not sure what you mean about internet, but if you are looking for someplace to go on line, you can use the Rangeley Public Library: Rangeley Public Library. It is on 7 Lake Street, right off Main Street (route 4) in the center of Rangeley.

There also is (or was) a cyber cafe in Rangeley, but I can't find the name or number. You might want to look for them in the Rangeley Highlander newspaper, a biweekly publication that you can pick up in any store.

No idea about the Widowmaker Lounge, but I would guess they serve Carrabasaett Pale Ale, which is great stuff :cool:

Enjoy the trip,
Marty

marty said:
Tom -
not sure what you mean about internet, but if you are looking for someplace to go on line, you can use the Rangeley Public Library: Rangeley Public Library. It is on 7 Lake Street, right off Main Street (route 4) in the center of Rangeley.

There also is (or was) a cyber cafe in Rangeley, but I can't find the name or number. You might want to look for them in the Rangeley Highlander newspaper, a biweekly publication that you can pick up in any store.

No idea about the Widowmaker Lounge, but I would guess they serve Carrabasaett Pale Ale, which is great stuff
Yup, that's what I meant, thanks!

Ah, trivia and great beer, what more could one ask for? :D

Tom,

We ate at the Stratton Diner 3 times during our 5 day stay in Rangely (1 dinner, 1 breakfast, and 1 stop for milk shakes). If you're heading to Sugarloaf from the 16/27 junction it's right on your left less than 100 yards into town. Also check out the "general store" on the right side of the road, when we were there (4th of July weekend) they were trying to get rid of their T-shirt stock ($1.99 a piece ). :eek:

I just wanted to add another restaurant option. Tufulios is located on RT-27 about 5 miles south of the Sugarloaf access road. Good Italian food and they always have a good selection of Maine beers on tap.

Another vote for the Porterhouse in Eustis. Good stuff!

Enjoy your trip!

Is there still a brew pub just a very short distance in on the Sugarloaf Access Road? I can say there used to be, but it changed names but I have forgotten the new one...

MichaelJ said:
Is there still a brew pub just a very short distance in on the Sugarloaf Access Road? I can say there used to be, but it changed names but I have forgotten the new one...
The Widowmaker is on that road. Maybe I have some more exploring to do! :D

Tom Rankin said:
We're going to Western Maine, starting Sunday for about 6 days. Going to try to hit as many 4Ks as possible.
Tom Rankin said:
There is 11, 4ks in there and one strong hiker like you may do it
in 2-3 days. Last september I done 6 in one day (S. Crocker-Crocker-
Reddington-Spalding-Abraham-Spalding-Sugarloaf). I was very tired after
Sugarloaf and I sleep on the side of the trail.
And there is about 10-11 peaks in the NE100 list in there.

If you do all of them in 2-3 days you will have time to go fishing after.

Have fun. :)

Okay, it was Theo's, then Sugarloaf Brewing, then the Rack.

The Shipyard (like the brand of beer) Brewhaus right up at the base of Sugarloaf in the Inn is pretty good, too.

We usually have supper at the Red Onion in Rangeley, the White Wolf in Stratton.

Breakfast at Moosely Bagels in Rangeley; it opens at 5:30 a.m., I believe. Last year the breakfast menu had been reduced in variety from the year before (they no longer have pancakes, as I recall).