Wfa

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I just finished the Wilderness First Aid course at the SOLO facility in Conway and was very impressed with both the subject matter and the instructor. It’s amazing how you can construct a fully functioning splint with just a few items that are normally carried in one’s pack. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who hikes on a regular basis. At some future day, I would like to take the Wilderness First Responder as well.

Last edited:
MadRiver said:
I just finished the Wilderness First Aid course at the SOLO facility in Conway and was very impressed with both the subject matter and the instructor. It’s amazing how you can construct a fully functioning splint with just a few items that are normally carried in one’s pack. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who hikes on a regular basis.
ditto! (took it a few wks ago) though I feel somewhat overwhelmed by all the $@#% that can go wrong :(

AVPU!

Its good to see such positive feedback from people who have taken this class.
I plan on taking it later this winter. I hope I don't ever need to use anything I'll learn there, but on the other hand, I'd REALLY hate to be in a situation where I need those skills, and don't know what to do.....

I second what has been said by those who took the course. If you spend a lot of time in the woods, the course is worth the investment of a weekend. SOLO goes to great efforts to beak up the classroom stuff with practical "field" exercises.

Jason Berard said:
I'd REALLY hate to be in a situation where I need those skills, and don't know what to do.....
It's just as important to know what to do so you don't get in those situations.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
It's just as important to know what to do so you don't get in those situations.

-dave-

I don't want to be arguing semantics here, but would it not be MORE important to know what to do so you don't get in those situations. An ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure, or so they say. I say this as a way to judge how to invest your time and money in classes. Not that first aid is not important. I took regular first aid years ago, never use it (luckily) and remember very little. Kind of like high-school Spanish :D

Day in, day out, you're going to be able to practice avoidance of hazards way more then first aid.

Tim

To stay current, it's a good idea to re-take the course periodically. I'm always amazed at how much I've forgetten between the courses. And, some of the first aid protocols changed. Have been fortunate to have the cost paid by the NH AMC chapter (not all chapters do that for their trip leaders), as it's a chapter requirement to take the course every two years.

bikehikeskifish said:
I don't want to be arguing semantics here, but would it not be MORE important to know what to do so you don't get in those situations.
Tim

I do not wish to quibble; however, I viewed the class as being focused more towards helping others in distress than on how to avoid your own hazard. Granted, there were tips and discussions on heat & cold management, as well as how to avoid or overcome hyperthermia. Yet the bulk of the course was designed towards what to do when you encounter someone else in distress, and that is I found invaluable.

Kevin Rooney said:
To stay current, it's a good idea to re-take the course periodically. I'm always amazed at how much I've forgetten between the courses. And, some of the first aid protocols changed. Have been fortunate to have the cost paid by the NH AMC chapter (not all chapters do that for their trip leaders), as it's a chapter requirement to take the course every two years.

Most of the participants were trip leaders from the Boston chapter, who had their tuition reimbursed.

Latest posts