What’s Shingle Shanty?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a brook that is having easement issues. There's nothing secret about it just the post has been moved to the paddling section of the site rather than the hiking section of the site. To see the paddling section go under the user CP and add it to your preferences.

It was suggested that it was a paddling issue and should be moved there. I agreed and moved it to the paddling section.
We have subforums because most members who don't have a large interest in paddling or photography have said they don't want to have to wade thru those subforums.
Very simple to join from your CP.

I know that, but I don’t know how I would have known that the thread was in a subscription-only forum from this:

Raymond, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

If it’s possible to indicate someplace that a thread has been moved into or out of a subscription-only forum, and which one, it would save some Sturm und Drang.

But now I have an idea what the original thread is about, anyway, so thanks.

It should be possible to make the subscription forums viewable by all, even if they only show up on the index for those who are members of the group subscribed to that forum.

I know that, but I don’t know how I would have known that the thread was in a subscription-only forum from this:
That's vBulletin boilerplate, I suppose it's possible to change that. The reason those forums are subscription only is when Darren set them up some people said they didn't want them to show up when they hit the "New Posts" button. Making them subscription only was the easiest way to achieve that.

An easy solution would be to not create the redirect when moving threads so you'd never have a link to click on.

That's vBulletin boilerplate, I suppose it's possible to change that. The reason those forums are subscription only is when Darren set them up some people said they didn't want them to show up when they hit the "New Posts" button. Making them subscription only was the easiest way to achieve that.

An easy solution would be to not create the redirect when moving threads so you'd never have a link to click on.

So if I join say the Photography subforum, will postings there show up when I hit "New Posts"? Or do I have to check photography separately?

I belong to the photography and paddling forums, Dan.
When I check on the board over the course of the day, first thing I hit is 'new posts'.
All new post appear, including posts in those subforums. It picks up all posts including the Trail Conditions ones.

Unless folks are completely uninterested in canoes, kayaks and photography joining the subforums is simple. Or members can join only 1 of them.
Clicking new posts bring them all up and people can choose to jump onto a thread or ignore them as they do anywhere on VFTT.
There is a lot of good information contained on the subs.