What do diabetics who winter hike use for testing equipment?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Sale

Reaction score
Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
I have a friend who is interested in getting into winter hiking and camping, but needs to test his bloodsugar a few times a day. The meter he currently has is a high end model, but doesn't work below 42°F, it just shuts down. It's also quite large, and is supposedly the smallest model they make. So what do other diabetics use?

He's thought about trying to keep his current meter in a shirt pocket, but it's a little on the large side to even fit into it well, and could break if he falls on it. He had a small pen sized one, but it died and the manufacturer no longer makes them.

Kris Freeman - one of the US XC teams top athletes is a diabetic. Google him and "diabetes" and see what you come up with. You can probably email him.

If you don't find the info from the link Neil provided, then email me. I can put you in touch with an avid winter hiker who is also a diabetic (with his permission, of course).

I don't know about specific brands, but most of the at-home glucometers I've seen are small enough to fit in a coat pocket. If it's high end, maybe he doesn't want to risk it hiking anyway? Never thought about that one before-

You can just tape the meter to your arm or leg or hold it against an appendage with gauze or ace bandage. Body heat keeps its temperature up. Or for better access if you're wearing lots of layers, wear the meter like a pendant against your chest...easily retrievable then by pulling it up. When winter camping, I put my kit with insulins and meter right into the sleeping bag with me. Haven't had a problem with freezeups.

I hiked with a young lady who had been diagnosed with type I diabetes and for monitoring she had two small devices, one pricked her finger for a couple drops of blood which were transferred to a small strip of paper, like litmus paper, and inserted it into the second device for a blood sugar count almost instantaneously. We hiked Pierce, Eisenhower and Jackson in the fall with blood tests every one or two hours.

I do not know any temperature limitations on the equipment other than possibly 1) the reliability of a reading if the blood has frozen, and 2) the reliability of the battery at low temperatures. My impression is that, if the spectrometer (or whatever it's called) is kept warm, i.e. stowed close to the warmth of the body, the whole process happens so fast that it can probably be done at fairly low temperatures.

We were able to keep her count within a reasonable range largely with peanut butter crackers. I questioned the suitability of fruit and fruit juices since that is the fastest way to restore glucose, it is a first aid antidote for diabetetics with very low counts, and it is my preferred hiking snack (I don't have diabetes) simply because it is a quick energy source as opposed to carbohydrates and proteins which take hours and days to covert to energy. Her concern is that it raises the blood suggar too high too fast.

My point of this additional information is that diabetes can be managed, even in stressful activities, and so can a number of other conditions and ... I hate to sound preachy but I'll say it anyway :) ... our understanding and support can help facilitate this management.

Stan said:
carbohydrates and proteins which take hours and days to covert to energy.
Time to come "online":
* Carbs: <= 1 hr
* Proteins: ~4 hrs
* Fats: ~7 hrs

(Eating a good mix of all three at dinner helps to keep you warm when you hit the sack and throughout the night.)

And, of course, extra calories can be converted to fat for later use.

Doug

Tips

I hike with a friend who is diabetic. He keeps his equipment and insulin inside a pouch that he hangs around his neck. It's kind of like those things you can find for international travel when you want to keep items/documents inconspicuous. The pouch is about 6"x8".

He's been out often, and in temps down to -30 overnight.

One of the things he does before the trip is calculate the carbs in the menu, so he has an idea of what he'll be taking in.

I can also provide contact info if you would like info that I can't provide. He may have other tips for things he does that I'm not even aware of.