What Do You Carry When Trailrunning?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Spawned from the "fast and light" hiking topic, but specifically, when you are planning to "run" or "jog" a large portion of the distance: what do you carry? I know it depends on temperature and terrain. Other trailrunners seem to carry very little. I am trying to figure out how to improve what I carry.

For me, a newbie to trailrunning, if the distance is less than maybe 4 miles, I basically carry my keys. 5-10 mi, I carry .5L-1L water, a shell, and some snacks. When going further, say, 10-20 miles, I carry more food/extras, plus camera/SPOT/GPS/matches, fleece. Not sure of the total weight but it's not working for me for the longer distances - I'm getting bogged down!!!

What do you keep pack weight down to if you are planning to run the trails? THANKS!!!!

Seems like all the trail ultrarunners around here swear by the Nathan race vests. Even if you are "only" doing shorter runs, (as if a 20 mile trail run in the Whites is an "only"!) that kind of thing would probably come in pretty handy. Keeps everything form jostling around.

Also, the shell is a hard decision. As a hiker, it seems silly to go without one, but as a runner, you don't really need one for most of the year. Especially if someone knows to come looking for you after x hours, and you stick to the area you planned to be in. Or if you go with a buddy. (Reasoning that the only reason you'd need it is if you are injured and have to stop or slow way down. A buddy could run for help, in theory.)

For shorter distances (4-6 miles) in warmer weather I just tie my car key to my shoe and stick my license in my jog bra. For long distances and in the winter, I usually use my camelback. How much water is in the bladder depends on the distance and the weather. For 10+ miles I may carry a gel or 2 and the bladder is mostly full. In iffy cooler weather, I'll put in a pair of light weight gloves, a light weight hat and a shell. I have Raynauds so keeping warm is important. In really hot weather, the bladder is usually full and may have an electrolyte drink in it. My keys and drivers license are in there. Maybe my cell phone depending on where I am runningI In cold weather I sometimes wear a long sleeve bike top or bike jacket. I put what I need in the back pockets. I'm cheap and tend to multi task my gear.

Last edited:
I agree with the above generalities, but it is so dependent on weather conditions, if you are in a supported race or an unsupported event, if there is water along the trail or not, etc. You have to tailor your needs to the each specific event. Must haves - big carb meal 2 hours before, belt with water bottles (I have two types - a small one with 2 -8 oz bottles and a larger one with 2 - 20 oz bottles, Gu for fuel/electrolytes and small first aid kit (if unsupported event), map, keys, id, cell phone. The takeaway is that you have to plan for each event individually (just like hiking!)

Spawned from the "fast and light" hiking topic, but specifically, when you are planning to "run" or "jog" a large portion of the distance: what do you carry? I know it depends on temperature and terrain. Other trailrunners seem to carry very little. I am trying to figure out how to improve what I carry.

For me, a newbie to trailrunning, if the distance is less than maybe 4 miles, I basically carry my keys. 5-10 mi, I carry .5L-1L water, a shell, and some snacks. When going further, say, 10-20 miles, I carry more food/extras, plus camera/SPOT/GPS/matches, fleece. Not sure of the total weight but it's not working for me for the longer distances - I'm getting bogged down!!!

What do you keep pack weight down to if you are planning to run the trails? THANKS!!!!
I have a amphipod handheld -- not because it's particularly good but because I have it. I like it more than the Nathan handhelds though.

For longer, unsupported runs I have a Nathan Race Vest... I took the water bladder out because I hate it. Instead, I put 1 L Platypus soft water bottles in the pack which I use to fill up my handheld. I generally have a better idea how much water I have left which outweighs the annoyance of having to fill up my handheld.

The Nathan pack can store a lot of crap plus it has a cord on the outside that I can strap a water filter to or something else if I need to. I generally don't take a jacket or anything -- I just use compression sleeves which I just take off once I get warmed up. In general though the Nathan pack has enough room for 2L of water, gels (or chomps), food etc.

-Mr. Kill

For summer solo runs, you might consider a space blanket, a large plastic garbage bag (blaze orange), and a couple cigarette lighters. All of the above weighs almost nothing and takes up almost no space, but can help with safety and comfort if you become immobilized. Won't get you through in the winter of course, but in the summer that little bit of extra can make a difference.