What glue for super-gaters...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I bought a pair of supergaters for my mountaineering boots last week, and while they worked GREAT, the toe was lifting by the end of the day. I noticed alot of boots are glued to prevent this...so what glue should be used???

Thoughts, brands and experiences appreciated...

Thanks,
w7x

go to a bike shop

And ask for tubular glue. Tubular glue is used to glue tubular (sew-ups) tires onto the rims. Velox is one brand , but any brand will work. Performance Bikes or Nashbar or Colorado Cyclist are some online shops that should also sell the stuff. It prolly costs about $5 or so a tube - which should be plenty.
(If you live near Albany, NY I can recommend some shops to you .)

When I started hiking I used super gaitors (they rock!!) and had the same trouble with the toe peeling up. Being a cyclist, I tried the tubular glue and had great success.
Make sure that the boot and the gaitor and clean.
First cover the surface of the super gaitor with glue, then cover the boot rand with glue. When both parts have a layer of glue put the gaitor on the boot. (This requires some strength and patience, so you may want an extra set of muscles to help you?!) I recommend leaving the gaitor on the boot until winter is over. Then just pry the super gaitor off the boot. The glue does not leave much residue or if it did it came off after a wearing or so. There is a rim cleaner that can be used if you have a problem. I can't recall what we used to use, but could look into it.

This is an excellent solution and I highly recommend you try it. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me! I wish you well! :)

If you leave the gaiter on the boot for a long period, make sure you fully dry it after each trip, especially if it's a leather boot. Turn it upside down, wipe it out, etc., or you can get mildew and rot starting in the crease :eek: between the boot and the gaiter.

TCD

Shoo Goo works great. It holds well, yet can be peeled off for when you need to replace the laces.

Latest posts