What is this?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not completely clear, but it looks like something you use to roll logs over? I've used something similar, made in more recent decades.

As you latch onto the log, you can roll the bar toward you and the entire length rolls over. Helps for the finishing the cut on some really thick logs.

Mind you...just a guess here.

Most log rolling devices (such as a "peavey") are much simpler gizmos with a single hinged, sharp spike that can grab a log. I don't see anything like that in this device. It looks to me like some sort of adjustment lever to control another piece of equipement. For example: it could be a hand brake for a wagon, or something to adjust the position of a sawblade.

Last edited:
It's certainly not a peavey, not sure what it is though. Far too complicated for simply logging tool.

-dave-

It almost looks like some sort of friction handbrake - I know here in the Daks they used to lower logs using cable wound around drums, but I am not that familiar with the process. I'd be curious to know if there are any teeth or barbs on the other side of the semi-circular flatbar

Rick said:
It almost looks like some sort of friction handbrake - I know here in the Daks they used to lower logs using cable wound around drums, but I am not that familiar with the process. I'd be curious to know if there are any teeth or barbs on the other side of the semi-circular flatbar

There were not any teeth or barbs on this object. :)

Paradox said:
Sneezel valve my *ss, it's a frappis friction rack!!

Oh, you Think so ?!?

It is obvious that I am the only one who knows what tis contraption is...

It's a Porkel Sniptcher - it's used in Paris, France for culturing Crepes and wayward American Tourists in the Catacombs.

So, There! :mad:

Zer0-G said:
Oh, you Think so ?!?

It is obvious that I am the only one who knows what tis contraption is...

It's a Porkel Sniptcher - it's used in Paris, France for culturing Crepes and wayward American Tourists in the Catacombs.

So, There! :mad:
And here I thought it was a combination left handed smoke shifter and bacon stretcher. :D

It’s always interesting what you find in the middle of the woods.

I'm still holding out for the sneezel value, albeit an early version.

It was used mostly around Vermont's Mt Mansfield to help corral the elusive Sidehill Wampahoofus, but some were seen in the Adirondacks as late as the early 70's.

Hmmm, I think Kevin and Zer0-G are both correct. It looks like a hybrid Sneezel/Porkel Sniptcher valve. The reason you see no battery compartment is because these hybrids were run on solar power. An optional water wheel back-up was provided for sunless days. Whats interesting is that its missing its Hyzel flange which connects to the by-pass manifold induction unit. Ive seen pics of these units being used in mant logging camps. Whats funny is when the loggers get drunk they would take them and try to stick them....ummm well, never mind that.

The company that made these units was the Halloway-Lund company of Nowheresville North Dakota. They also specialized in ice cream makers for winter use as well as solar powered flashlights. They also owned a subsidiary company that made gas powered axes.

Brian

I think it's just a random piece of farm equipment that broke down or fell off.

No, just kidding! Don't you guys recognize a long-lost Louise Nevelson sculpture when you see one? I'm sure you could sell it to some prestigious art museum...

NewHampshire said:
Ive seen pics of these units being used in mant logging camps. Whats funny is when the loggers get drunk they would take them and try to stick them....ummm well, never mind that.
Brian

WOW! I've seen pictures too, I thought I was the only one who has...I'ts pretty disgusting in action really, lot's of people back then seemed to really enjoy it. Personally, I could never, it looks too painful, I mean, y'know with all that stuff flying around, if it was the same picture I saw, did you see the band in the background? The whole scene looked like some crazy hillbilly mosh pit with everyone wearing rubber raincoats...I really couldn't figure out what the heck tey were doing with that Sneezel/Porkel Sniptcher thing. It looked like it held up well under the pounding it took.... :eek: :D :confused:

Well you guys finally called me out. I did not want to give away any trade secrets but here goes. The semicircular part holds the lips tightly against the buccal surface of the teeth. A small clamping aparatus (most of it missing from the photo) grasps the tooth and whatever lip tissue that gets in the way. A deft jerk (me) on the handle twists the tooth in a quick snapping motion. If all goes well (about 3/100) the tooth is extracted, the pain only lasts a day or two, and much of the lip tissue is maintained. This instrument is from the pre-water cooled days.

Paradox said:
Well you guys finally called me out. I did not want to give away any trade secrets but here goes. The semicircular part holds the lips tightly against the buccal surface of the teeth. A small clamping aparatus (most of it missing from the photo) grasps the tooth and whatever lip tissue that gets in the way. A deft jerk (me) on the handle twists the tooth in a quick snapping motion. If all goes well (about 3/100) the tooth is extracted, the pain only lasts a day or two, and much of the lip tissue is maintained. This instrument is from the pre-water cooled days.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: