When do your headlamp/flashlight batteries die ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
When you need them/are using them, right ? Certainly not while you're home packing and doing the gear check.

I got this LL Bean crank flashlight a few years ago from my in-laws, I think. Actually I don't think I have the solar panel on mine, just the crank. Anyway, I always thought it was a bit of a joke, junk probably that would fail the first time used. We brought a few headlamps Saturday night and this thing and it worked like a champ. Cranked a few minutes it provided very bright, continuous light for probably an hour and a half of card playing. There are varieties: minis, lanterns, radio combo, etc., but I'll be buying a few more soon.

When you need them/are using them, right ? Certainly not while you're home packing and doing the gear check.

I got this LL Bean crank flashlight a few years ago from my in-laws, I think. Actually I don't think I have the solar panel on mine, just the crank. Anyway, I always thought it was a bit of a joke, junk probably that would fail the first time used. We brought a few headlamps Saturday night and this thing and it worked like a champ. Cranked a few minutes it provided very bright, continuous light for probably an hour and a half of card playing. There are varieties: minis, lanterns, radio combo, etc., but I'll be buying a few more soon.
This is why I have a mini squeeze light on my headlamp strap. It's right there, I don't have to find it in the dark in my pack, and it weighs 1/4 oz.

Cranked a few minutes it provided very bright, continuous light for probably an hour and a half of card playing.
I got one for Xmas and as mentioned it lasts a long time for card playing. However it was marginal for hiking in snow and even worse for hiking on bare ground.

I consider it something to leave in the car as you don't have to remember to switch batteries, but for hiking I can carry a brighter backup light plus a change of batteries for the same weight.