When Ice Dams Break

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
I should have taken a picture, but the snow on the ice over the river paralleling the Imp Trail (Northern Leg) was covered in a maroonish, brown silt on the way back down the trail and I don't recall seeing it on the way up. I'm thinking a sudden increase in water caused the levels to flow up and over the ice "bridges", but was not forceful enough to destroy them as seen here:

Amazing Ice Dam Breakage Video

(Credit for finding and posting video goes to another member on Rocks, this time last year.)

have experienced one big ice dam break in the past. was violent enough that we could feel it shaking the ground coming down the hill then it tore by with giant chunks of ice, trees, etc. the front end we estimated to be about a 10 foot high wall of water based upon how high it was when compared to trees along the bank. prior to that happening the brook had been completely ice/snow covered with only a bit of a flow underneath (think crossings this past weekend). this was before i owned a digital camera so no pictures. that was april 3rd of 2005 i believe. the same flooding event that took out gale river bridge, spider bridge, dry river bridge, etc.
was something to experience. just glad we weren't crossing, or any closer to, the brook at the time.

bryan

I'm not sure if it was an ice dam breaking or just from all the rain on friday night, but near the large river crossing towards the Kanc side of the Greeley pond trail was covered in brown snow and pretty eroded from water flow.

The video in the OP was shot by someone who posts on this site. I think it actually was posted here before it made it on TV.