Which MapSet is best ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
After the infamous thread on Which GPS is best, now is the time for me to get advices strictly on maps uploadable to a GPS (USA). :confused:

I'm clearly going towards the GPSMAP series of Garmin.

I'd like to know:
-Which brand of maps can fit into it besides Garmin Mapsource.
-How those brands are comparing to each other.
-Which one would you suggest for those kind of navigation:
- On road (both in big cities and on logging roads and/or remote areas)
- On the trail (maintained trails)
- In the bush (bushwalks)

Of course, I need the most precise set of maps and price is not really an issue (thank god) :D

Ie.:How does the US TOPO of Garmin compare to National Geographic TOPO! series. How does the Delorme Street Atlas compare to the Garmin MetroGuide, etc...

I haven't seen a visual comparison of those maps side by side anywhere on the web, but hey ! maybe I'm just not looking at the right place...that would be nice.

Thanks

Last edited:
The commercially available maps that you upload into your GPSr are a proprietary format. For Garmin, Mapsource products are the only maps that will upload into a Garmin unit. The Garmin US Topo series are based on the USGS 1:100K series. The waypoints and routes can be upload from other products.

What I see as the difference between Mapsource (MS) Topo and National Gepgraphic (NG) Topo are the following:

You will need MS Topo in order to load all the terrain topographical features to your GPS. You click and highlight which map sections of the overall MS Topo US map you want and then upload them to your GPS. Otherwise the display on your GPS will only show main highways and cities and not much else. What is nice is if I am heading West for a week, I can add those maps to my GPS and have all the topo detail - backroads, hills, valleys summits, water.... I can then later add my local PA maps when I get back home (All existing maps loaded into your GPS are ovrwritten with new maps that you upload).

However, MS Topo is not good for much else (If I am wrong, someone please tell me what else I could use it for) - if you were to look at MS Topo on your computer monitor, you don't see the same formats as you would if you had NG topo on your system. In laymans terms, It doesn't look like a Topo map.

NG Topo Looks just like the topo maps you buy. They have a large amount of detail - Which is spectacularly awesome. However, you can't load these maps into your GPS. You can (and will) plot routes, waypoints and the like on NG Topo and then upload these to your GPS (or download your tracks and saved waypoints from your GPS after your trip to NG Topo, to see what you've done, ID landmarks and such)

IMMHO, I think you really need to have both in order to make the most of your GPS. DougPaul and Sardog a few others are really the GPS experts and can probably add much more.

One final thing I did read somewhere that MS Topo uses Vector instead or raster graphics. I have no clue how they work except that with Vector level of detail, Garmin can get the Whole US on 2 CDs. With Raster, NG Topo gets the just Northeast (in blistering detail) on 10 CDs. (Which isn't bad for $99.)

The detail on the Mapsource is woefully lacking but I guess with gps's being so "memory challenged" as compared to cameras then that's the way it goes untill they come out with gps's that hold several giga-bytes of data.

You will use NG Topo! for your planning, waypoint and route creation, downloading your tracklogs etc. In short, for everything. (Note however that there are many other mapping software products out there.)

The Mapsource maps in your gps are layered over top of the grid layer. The data you upload from Topo! (or enter manually) gets layered on top of the Mapsource map. At least that's the way I think of it.

I just got started with map-enabled gps'ing and at times I have thought it was almost useless, probably cuz I learned on and was used to using a non mapping gps. Then on other outings I have found it very, very practical.

I have heard that the Mapsource maps are not always accurate. Has anyone else heard or experienced that?

Ohh I see, so basically NG or any other brand, is for the "do your homework home before you leave in the bush" because it is way easier to build up a route with it or they have other details that Mapsource doesn't have. I have no choice of using MapSource to display the mapping in my GPS. So if Garmin maps are not accurate enough, I'm restricted to using 3rd party maps and then upload the route to my GPS.

Basically I already have the MapSource US TOPO, and CANADA TOPO and I think they work great. Anybody has experienced the US TOPO 24k ? Is it worth buying ? Any other Garmin recommendations ?

Which Garmin Maps would you use for on the road navigation ?

Also, there is a lot of time where I won't be able to plan a route in advance and so, will be using only my Garmin maps, either on the road (I like the highway mode with the turn-by-turn routing) or in the bush ! I just want to make sure I have to most precise set.

Thanks for your input !

You should also check out MapTech's Terrain Navigator. They use USGS quads, have 3D mapping, the Pro version has access to sat. photos (online). I use that in conjunction with my Etrex Vista.

www.maptech.com

Jay

Motabobo said:
Which Garmin Maps would you use for on the road navigation ?
Thanks for your input !
I was told by a few folks at EMS/REI that for highway turn by turn, you would want Metro Guide - Roads and Recreation. But I haven't used it so I don't know how good it is.

Neil said:
I have heard that the Mapsource maps are not always accurate. Has anyone else heard or experienced that?
I don't know whether the key word is "accurate" or "up-to-date" there are a few newer highways and main roads where I live in PA (one of them being I-78) that have been around for at least a decade, but are still not shown on the maps.
On a second note I was reading about some guy who works for some large mapping manufacturer and spends his time driving around with a fancy GPS receiver that transmits data back to his employer - He enters the names of the roads he is on. They then use the tracks he sends them to update and print out maps with all the new roads updated, rather than having to hand draw them in. I think that is pretty cool.

Rick said:
I was told by a few folks at EMS/REI that for highway turn by turn, you would want Metro Guide - Roads and Recreation. But I haven't used it so I don't know how good it is.

I use the Metroguide US. I have had a couple problems with accuracy, but overall I a satisfied. I like the feature that you can set the average speed on diffrent types of roads and add intermediate way points and then optomize your driving routes.

Rick said:
I don't know whether the key word is "accurate" or "up-to-date" there are a few newer highways and main roads where I live in PA (one of them being I-78) that have been around for at least a decade, but are still not shown on the maps.
I was referring to geographical features.

Rick said:
I read on gpsinformation.net that Garmin Topo roads are around 30 years old !!! Link

Can I have two different basemaps loaded in my GPS ? ie.: one for the road and the other topo ?

Sure, so are a lot of the USGS quads!! Topography doesn't change that much, although landmarks could.

I take all those maps with a grain of salt. I've heard a lot of different stuff about mapsource, both good and bad and I've never had one on my GPS but then it's only a backup so I never cared to hike with it while its on. MapSource though is the only source for maps to be shown on them so its not like you have a choice. However, the eTrex Vista has the most memory of the eTrex series and comes with a basemap of roads (mostly county) which is useful for bike touring, not much for hiking.

Jay

Motabobo said:
Can I have two different basemaps loaded in my GPS ? ie.: one for the road and the other topo ?

No, not at the same time. In the process of downloading a new set of maps to a Garmin GPS the first thing that happens is the deletion of the existing mapset. If the download process gets disrupted (like the batteries run down, cable gets disconnected, etc) then your GPS maps will be blank.

I use the Garmin Vista, and the internal mapset provided is, as Jay H notes, good for bike touring but not for hiking. Consequently, purchasing Mapsource's US Topo was a given, otherwise the feature set in Vista model would go largely un-used.

There's a gotcha in the mapsets, though. Am reasonably certain that if you download a mapset from US Topo to the GPS that there's no way to reload the factory set. That's not an issue for me, as the US Topo maps are very much better.

The US Topo maps are a bit out-of-date, if you use this feature while hiking. Occasionally you'll notice that the tracks deviate from the internal map - in most instances this is because the trail has been re-routed. I suppose it can also be due to an old error in the USGS maps.

Also - and this probably goes without saying - with any of these mapping programs, periodically go the software's website and download the latest patches. Often there's a shortcut in the Help section of the program.

Last edited:
I loaded into my GPS the ADK's from US topo and the entire Montreal metropolitain area from Metro Guide Canada. 2 different products that I was able to use to create a single mapset within the program's main window.

It's pretty amazing that you can input any address and then do a Goto.

I have used my gps in the car out of curiosity but it's too dangerous to be looking at that little screen (mine is a RINO 130) while trying to control your vehicle.

Neil said:
I loaded into my GPS the ADK's from US topo and the entire Montreal metropolitain area from Metro Guide Canada. 2 different products that I was able to use to create a single mapset within the program's main window.

So you are saying that I can load metroguide for a region as long as I have enough base memory left on my GPS? meaning if I load 15M of Topo I have room for 9 Megs of Metroguide data - Assuming 24M max.
Yipppee!!!! The REI Dividend just got spent!!!

Neil said:
but it's too dangerous to be looking at that little screen (mine is a RINO 130) while trying to control your vehicle.
Yeah I know what you mean, between my Cellphone, Blackberry, Coffee, food, shaving, bopping my head to the music and all those crazy other drivers swerving outta my way, its a wonder I am alive - Thank God I can steer with my knees!!! :D :D

Neil said:

Kevin seems to say that it is not possible. Maybe I expressed myself wrong, I'm sorry. What would be best for me is the most accurate maps for driving my car around, and the most accurate maps for hiking both uploaded in my GPS.

If it is possible to have something like this, is it really worth it over only a TOPO mapsource which has everything but the roads are kinda outdated ? And how do I do this in Mapsource ?

No words on the TOPO 24k series as of yet...funny I thought that would be the version that everybody would have around here !

Thanks

Motabobo said:
I read on gpsinformation.net that Garmin Topo roads are around 30 years old !!! Link

Terminology.

Basemap: The maps that come preloaded with the GPS unit. For the Garmin unit, this shows roads (interstates, state and some county roads) and towns, rivers, etc. It is a very basic map, not very useful.

Mapset: The maps you load into the unit (limited by memory). Only one mapset can be loaded. The process of loading erases the existing mapset. BUT, as Neil said, the mapset can be made up of maps from different mapsource products. I loaded all the topo maps for the ADK Highpeaks region along with all the Citysource information for the High Peaks region plus those along the Northway from Albany to Canada. I was limited to 8MB for my Legend unit. Mapsource keeps track of the mapset size as you select the maps.

Motabobo said:
Kevin seems to say that it is not possible. Maybe I expressed myself wrong, I'm sorry. What would be best for me is the most accurate maps for driving my car around, and the most accurate maps for hiking both uploaded in my GPS.

If it is possible to have something like this, is it really worth it over only a TOPO mapsource which has everything but the roads are kinda outdated ? And how do I do this in Mapsource ?

No words on the TOPO 24k series as of yet...funny I thought that would be the version that everybody would have around here !

Thanks
Maybe Kevin meant that you can't load one mapset alongside another that is already in the gps. You have to load 'em all at once.
I also thought the 24K series would be the one to get but when I posted the same question as you on ADKHighpeaks.com/forums a few months ago everybody said to get the 100K series, so I did.

Neil said:
Maybe Kevin meant that you can't load one mapset alongside another that is already in the gps. You have to load 'em all at once.
I also thought the 24K series would be the one to get but when I posted the same question as you on ADKHighpeaks.com/forums a few months ago everybody said to get the 100K series, so I did.
Neil's got it right - sorry if my post wasn't clear. I meant that in one 'download session' the program sends a delete command to the GPS in preparation for receiving new maps. And, I didn't realize you could create a mapset from different products - that's slick!

US Topo 24k

I use the US Topo 24k National Parks, East v2, MetroGuide North America v6 and Americas BlueChart v6. I love them. I have the Garmin Etrex Legend. you can upload each type of map at the same time. you must select each set of maps and add them to the Maps list. Remember to set the GPS so that it does "lock on road" while hiking or boating, it makes for a funny track log.

I've found "glitches" in most of the mapping software I own. I also have Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro New England and Delorme TOPO 3D Topoquads New England. This one particular glitch which really bothers me is really no big deal to most, but it makes me question the reliability of the locations of other landmarks. I’ve spoken to Delorme regarding the discrepancy to no avail. What I found through investigation is that Navteq, an independent company, supplies all the map makers with the landmarks. If Navteq gets the location wrong all the map companies have the location wrong. :mad:

I create maps for work and it bothers me when the data is wrong.

Jim

Sorry but I just don't seem to get it.

Is the TOPO 24k better than TOPO for hiking ?
Which mapsource is best for driving; City Navigator, City Select or MetroGuide...

When I say better, it's actually which one is more detailed, accurate and up to date.

Also how do I know which is the latest version of the product ?

Thanks