White Mountain Family Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Mountain Family Gathering

• Total voters

Puck

Reaction score
Please post your preferances and opinions.

Seems like we have amixed bag of age groups; parents, teenagers, tweeners, and younger.

I think anyone who wants to be a part should come with or without kids. You can be positive role models.

Can you give descriptions on the campsites such as whether they are Car-camping, or how long the hike in is, and how much available space there is (Leanto or not).?

Same thing for the hikes - Waterfalls vs. Peakbagging.

Thanks!

-percious

percious said:
Can you give descriptions on the campsites such as whether they are Car-camping, or how long the hike in is, and how much available space there is (Leanto or not).?

Same thing for the hikes - Waterfalls vs. Peakbagging.

Thanks!

-percious

sorry for the oversite. 13Falls is a backcountry tentsite. Licoln Brook is a carmping site. These facilities do not have shelters.

The activities is pretty much a personal preference. There are some waterfalls closer to the road then others, Aerathusa (sp), Gibbs for example others would be a good hike it, like Thoreaux.

Puck...depending on how many of us go, backpacking in to 13 Falls or other places could be a problem because of the size of the group. It also may limit some people who don't/aren't ready yet to pack in and then hike.....just a thought.

July 14-16 is the family weekend in the ADKs, so I'm hoping we don't pick that weekend as I would like to go to both.

Also, thank you so much for setting this up. I guess I should learn how to do this stuff!

If you are organizing a backcountry trip in the Whites for a group you'll need a WMNF Guide card. This will limit group size to 10. In addition, if you are going into a Wilderness Area, you'll be limited to 10. Any large group going to a backcountry campsite with a caretaker will be noticed.

A car camping option is probably your best bet for this type of group.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
If you are organizing a backcountry trip in the Whites for a group you'll need a WMNF Guide card. This will limit group size to 10. In addition, if you are going into a Wilderness Area, you'll be limited to 10. Any large group going to a backcountry campsite with a caretaker will be noticed.

A car camping option is probably your best bet for this type of group.

-dave-

David thanks for the input. This is the last thing I want to get into. If a backcountry site is used it would be as a rendez vous point. People going out on seperate excursions would be loosely organized and yes should follow LNT and backcountry guidlines.

Each parent obviously is responsible for thier own kid.

We have a place to stay in Jackson so we may or may not car camp but would love to join a car camping group for meals, socializing, etc. We would be willing to participate with a smaller group on an overnight backcountry trip to 13 falls or with a larger group for a day hike or more than one day hike.

I'm basically going to say the same thing as slowandsteady, we'll be in the area, car camping probably, hoping to meet and greet and doing shorter day hikes. Hopefully we can all see each other at some point, but it sounds like they'll be 2 groups that weekend; back-country and back-seat ;) .

We're definately doing the mid-july ADK outing also; probably my 2 boys, their 2 friends and my neice, all 11'ish.

It's sounding like Memorial Day Weekend - I'm going to Jackson this weekend and l'll try to remember to bring my WMG and national forest campgound info back with me to list some car camping options for those interested. Since we backpack and don't generally car camp I'm hoping some one else is knowledgeable about the reservation system if there is one for the campgrounds on the Kanc.

Last edited:
To follow up.
Date; Memorial day weekend is still in the running....many people voted "other." Please state what you have in mind.

Place: Again...there are alot of "other" votes. Can space be reserved at these facilities. Or is it a first come first serve basis? Also to clarify, I should have posted Hancock Campground or Big Rock Campground.

One thought. We can have a base in a campground of the Kanc where people can meet etc. on Friday. then if there is a group (loose group <10) that wants to go to 13 Falls they can strike out sat am. Others who are peakbagging can go and do day hikes and congeregate back at the campsite.

I, personaly can go either way car camp or backcountry. My son and I are peakbagging. We need Garfield, North Twin, Tripyramids, passaconaoway, whiteface and Carrigan.

Memorial Day weekend is suppose to be the award ceremony in NY and we are planning on going there. July 14-16 is also the NY Family weekend and I'm not sure when the VFTT gathering is but those dates for me pose a conflict. I realize the more people we get, the harder it will get so just go with the majority and maybe we can plan a couple if there is interest. We probably should nail a date down soon so things don't fill up too quickly.

I think a base place to meet would be great because then even though there are going to be several different people doing different things, we can meet back and get to know each other. Either campground is fine with me. They are both basic.

Ok. For lack of additional input lets say we will have a gathering of VFTT families on Memorial Day weekend. I will look into getting some sites in a campsite along the Kank.

Please post if you:

1) are coming..how many?
2) would rather stay someplace else. Where?
3) any other comments and observations.

Have a fun time and let me know if you plan to do it another weekend. We'd love to meet other kids in NH since we live here!