Why NOT eVENT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Now I know there are vocal eVENT advocates out there, but why is everyone else choosing gore tex still. Is it the sexy marketing ploy, the years of existance, or lack of knowledge of eVENT?

Why didnt you go with eVENT over everything I have heard lately

my Keen leather high-top's have the eVent liner, wish I'd understood that the full coverage leather Keen outer is totally waterproof, in and out, so no place for sweat to go unless into my WICKING socks and thence still stuck to my sweaty feet

Your question again? eVent does what? When? I'm not impressed so far.

Breeze

I am not sure... it seems like one of those cases where something took off when another better option was available... like VHS, MP3s, DVDs, etc...

I don't know if the eVent licensing costs more, if Gore already have too much market share and big name to even catch up. I know Wild Things uses it and they have a cool little display in their store showing the breathability.

I haven't gone eVent because I didn't have access to any deals to manufacturers who use it ;)

I did a search into the shoeller fabric...WB400

I am not sure this classifies as a hardshell. EMS is using this in one of their jackets and they informed me otherwise. I have heard that in warmer weather its not as waterproof and did not hold up to heavy downpours.

Either way moisture management is individual-specific and very dependent on conditions and terrain...Two good products may not be all that different in the end.

I've had cotton, 60-40, gore-tex, gore-tex xcr, entrant, paclite and my next shell will be an eVent. Far as I can tell all the modern sartorials are made of expensive plastic bags with lots of little holes. I get soaked no matter what when I hike in that stuff. Maybe it's time for the Mtn. Hardware Torch softshell.

... hmmmm ... I thouht eVent was a way to let off steam on the computer. :confused:

maybe someday there will be a product that suits all our needs, but innovation is not usually spurred without hard work and small steps and in some cases cost

until then I can eVent on the computer all i want (good pun), rig an umbrella off the back of my pack (excellent idea) and put on and take off hardshell jackets all day long

I experimented with the umbrella thing a number of years ago, and it won't work well if it's on the pack. It'll be too tall or wide, and will chafe if not perfect. It's also very easy to get caught on branches, so unless you're on a road, it'll suck.

Dana Design had something similar back when they made their bulletproof packs. The pack cover covered the person and the pack at the same time, but the ventilation left a lot to be desired.

Lawn Sale said:
I experimented with the umbrella thing a number of years ago, and it won't work well if it's on the pack.
Or if you use it while bushwhacking, rock climbing and especially a no-no while swimming. :cool:

Lawn Sale said:
I experimented with the umbrella thing a number of years ago, and it won't work well if it's on the pack. It'll be too tall or wide, and will chafe if not perfect. It's also very easy to get caught on branches, so unless you're on a road, it'll suck.

Dana Design had something similar back when they made their bulletproof packs. The pack cover covered the person and the pack at the same time, but the ventilation left a lot to be desired.

I did Windham HP in the catskills in the rain with my umbrella. I think Ajtiv or somebody got a picture of it. But it's a trail I know well enough to know that it's a road for part of it and then a fairly open and well maintained trail for the rest.

I got the idea after seeing 2 hikers on Mt Washington using umbrellas (it wasn't windy)..

Jay