Wildcat D via Polecat, Sat. Feb 7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
*CHANGE OF PLANS* Wildcat D via Polecat, Sat. Feb 7

We're going to attempt Wildcat D via Polecat this Sat. We hope to be on the ski trail by 7:30am.

Anyone who wants to meet us on the trail, please do so -- arrive when you like, you're sure to catch up....we're fairly slow on the ascent (but fast on the descent).

If weather forecast deteriorates we will cancel. So far, it's do-able.

****EDITED -- Looks like we're going to change our plans, forecasted wind speeds are increasing bigtime. Alex says she'd rather do something in the trees and avoid wind altogether...smart girl****

Last edited:
Alex is sure to elicit comments from skiers

enjoy!!

and be carefull..there are a couple of semi blind spots that people cruise down..

Thanks -- she'll enjoy speaking/waving to folks, she's looking forward to this.
I'll be careful of the skiers, and we'll stay all the way to the side of the trail.

The skiers and instructors were so friendly when we were there last weekend - lots of waving, the occasional bewildered look ("Aren't you going the wrong way?") and many congratulations upon reaching the top of the lift... she will have a blast, I know it!

Good luck with the hike. Please do be sure to WAVE, and know that I'll be waving back... :p

I'll be careful of the skiers, and we'll stay all the way to the side of the trail.

I have found that sticking to the Polecat trails (Lower, Middle, Upper) gives one better visibility. I believe many hikers stick to the perimeter trails (Stray Cat, Middle Polecat, Catnap, Upper Polecat), which are more narrow and have more blind turns.

I'm rather surprised that a resort like Wildcat would allow hikers on a ski trail during ski season in the first place. Have fun, be safe.

I'm rather surprised that a resort like Wildcat would allow hikers on a ski trail during ski season in the first place. Have fun, be safe.

Yes, it's very nice of them isn't it? They've been allowing it for years, I believe, as long as you stay on the Polecat trails.

I asked about that once and the answer I got was that

while it is a ski area

it is in the National Forest and open to multiple use

not sure if that is the official policy but that's what the gal at the desk said..

they are all very friendly there...

Using my psychic powers, my guess is you're concerned about this hike based upon the new wind forecasts. My observation for Wildcat D via the ski area (I've skied and hiked it numerous times over the last half decade in various types of weather, so I'm only a quasi-arm-chair-expert):

- It can be a horrible day on the Presis, but still halfway decent on that side of the Cats.
- If the winds are excessive, the summit quad will not be operating (and they tend to give advance notice of this...ski areas tend to have private weather consultants who can give them detailed forecasts for their mountain, rather than just a region...when I was still in the industry, we used to get very accurate directional and speed forecasts to the half hour).
- There are some wide open slopes along the Polecat that can be rather exposed to the wind.
- If you can get to the top of the ski area, the winds from there to D peak won't be any more of an issue, other than perhaps drifting the few dozen vertical feet of trail.

Thanks -- I was just analyziing this.

The winds are supposed to come out of the ssw....Polecat is exposed to the nnw....we could end up being fairly sheltered most of the way, given the wind direction. If the winds were forecasted to come from the nnw, I'd cancel right now. As it stands, we could have a really nice day with only a few bits of wind here and there....and the temps are supposed to be in the 40s at 4000 feet (!!).

When it's all said and done, we can give it a go and if we're uncomfortable, have a really fun time sliding down the ski trail in retreat. ;)

Neither one of us has summit fever -- yeah, we have our goals, but we've zero issue turning back for any reason whenever needed. That's part of the sport, comes with the territory.

Ill give it some more thought, consult with Alex....we'll see....

Yeah... I was thinking of heading up Adams and I am reconsidering now... I will probably try something near or below treeline!

From: http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php:

Tomorrow:
In the clear under increasingly cloudy skies w/ a slight chance of snow showers late. Wind chills 5-15 above.

Highs: Around 30°F

Wind: W 40-55 mph increasing to 70-90 mph w/ higher gusts :eek:

Last edited:
I explained the situation to ALex, she doesn't want to do this hike unless it's really calm and clear (wants to see Washington while we hike).

We'll choose something sheltered instead, not sure what yet, will spend the rest of the day researching trail conditions and exposure of other peaks.

Last edited:
I explained the situation to ALex, she doesn't want to do this hike unless it's really calm and clear (wants to see Washington while we hike).

We'll choose something sheltered instead, not sure what yet, will spend the rest of the day researching trail conditions and exposure of other peaks.
Mt Hight is pretty well protected up until the last bit. Some of the best views around, including Mt Wash, IIRC.

Kearsarge North fits the above description, too.

Doug

Mt Hight is pretty well protected up until the last bit. Some of the best views around, including Mt Wash, IIRC.

Kearsarge North fits the above description, too.

Doug

We're thinking 4K possibilities, but thanks -- I'm pretty sure there are a couple of possibilities, will look through the recent trail conditions reports and gather information, then make a decision. And again, whever we hike, we've no problem turning back for whatever reason, no worries. She likes to be on a trail that leads to a 4K, so we'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Many find these peaks to be more rewarding than 4Ks

I've no doubt. And she wants to hike "all of them" (her words, regarding mountains in the Whites) AFTER she's finished with the 4Ks. She is goal-oriented and has her mind set on this list (she's a bit on the OCD side, just like her mother).

She's very vocal about what she does or does not want to do when we're planning things -- that's very helpful for me in terms of helping her out/guiding her.

I do thank you for the suggestions, though. We will definitely do those peaks when we're through with this particular quest.

I do thank you for the suggestions, though. We will definitely do those peaks when we're through with this particular quest.
Mt Hight is very close to Carter Dome. You can check off the Dome and then go over to Hight for the views.

I friend and I did a winter overnighter on the ridge a few years ago. We spent an hour or so on Hight and didn't even bother to go over to the Dome. He had bagged the list peaks previously, but without visibility...

Doug

That's a great idea...am analyzing trail condition reports, if the trails are still well-packed out (a must for Alex), that's definitely a strong possibility.

That's a great idea...am analyzing trail condition reports, if the trails are still well-packed out (a must for Alex), that's definitely a strong possibility.
It is a bit easier to take Carter Dome Tr (from Zeta Pass) up to the ridge and the Carter Moriah Tr back to Mt Hight than to go directly from Zeta Pass to Mt Hight. The ridge is pretty level between Carter Dome and Mt Hight.

Those trails are pretty popular and are likely to be broken out or at worst an easy break. (Don's skip Mt Hight if you only have to break the .4 mi over to it.)

Besides, Mt Hight is also above 4K...

Doug