Wildcats & Carter-Moriah Traverse 8/18/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Weather permitting; I hope to hike a traverse of the Wildcats and Carter-Moriah Range with a target date of August 18 (or 19). Right now, the long-range forecast seems to indicate good conditions on the 18th. I’m looking for others interested in doing the hike too and help with a car spot. We can hike north to south or south to north. I have previously done the hike south to north and selected that approach because I didn’t really want to try coming off the Wildcat Ridge Trail after dark. There’s a good chance the hike will require headlights.

With the start/end points being PNVC and Stony Brook trailhead the specs are 19.2 miles and 6,950 feet northbound (7,300 southbound). The book time estimate is ~13 hours. An early start will be planned. The total distance can be reduced to 18.7 miles if the Carter-Moriah trail is followed all the way to Bangor Road, but there is very limited parking at that location, which may create a problem.

I hike at a moderate pace generally around book time. If you’re interested in this hike please respond to this thread or by PM and we can further discuss the details.

:)

My friend...you broke me in on my multi-peak days! I would follow you over any trail. :D If I can set up grandparent time for my son...it's on! I'll work double time on that. Need those anyway!

Great! There's nothing like a six-bagger (except perhaps a Presi Traverse that gets eight)! We'll sort out the details over the next few days as we see if there are others that intend to join the hike.

:D

We've run into a couple bumps in the road and need to reschedule. Most likely, we're looking at a delay of a couple weeks.

BIGEarl, this is a big undertaking. The ups and downs on this route as a day-long hike will test you mentally as well as physically. Good luck! Wish I were there for the torture. BTW, Carter Notch is a sweet place.

eddie said:
BIGEarl, this is a big undertaking. The ups and downs on this route as a day-long hike will test you mentally as well as physically. Good luck! Wish I were there for the torture. BTW, Carter Notch is a sweet place.

Having previously done this hike, I know. Mental preparation for this one is very important. After Carter Dome (and Hight) it's a relatively mild hike. I don't mind steep descents at all and coming off Hight, N. Carter, and Moriah are not an issue.

Previously I did not manage my water/gatorade supply properly and needed to make a side trip to the Imp Campsite. I believe this issue can be avoided with better planning and execution.

I was looking at the hike for today. I woke up at 1:30am as planned and decided to check the latest forecast. The late weather forecast included higher than previously forecast temperatures in the mid-90's and increased humidity. I previously did this hike in those conditions - don't really want to do it that way again. Perhaps next week the weather will be more to my liking.

We'll see.