will hiking reduce the odds I'll be hit by the satellite ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Odds are about 1 in 21 trillion that I'll be hit by the satellite. I'd have to imagine this is calculated by averaging the area I occupy in relation to the rest of everything else on the surface of the earth. I figure I'm about 4 times less likely to be hit if I'm hiking (upright, occupying less surface area) than if I'm napping. Odds are pretty high, though, that SOMEONE will be hit. I declare World Hike Day !

This is a bit like Billy's carried watch theory.

Hey, how about that CERN neutrino ? Einstein was WRONG ;) ! Have a great weekend. I'm working :(. I better stand at my desk...

What about the fact that the average hikers spends more time outside thus being more likely to have a satellite crash into them

sounds risky to be hiking !:eek
With my luck, I'd hit the lottery for 222 mil. then have a satellite land on me.
It's all good but, don't be afraid to fill out those organ doner cards, just in case !
Good luck ! :)

If you are outside, you might actually be able to see it coming, as it will just be in free fall by the time it approaches the Earth's surface. So, just make sure you are on a trail with a wide open view! :D

If you are outside, you might actually be able to see it coming, as it will just be in free fall by the time it approaches the Earth's surface. So, just make sure you are on a trail with a wide open view! :D
I once saw a "star" mysteriously brighten then completely disappear with a very slight lateral movement. I suddenly came to realize that I must be on the butt target end of a meteor headed directly toward me. Thankfully those kind burn up completely long before reaching the ground, but in the case of UARS.... :eek:

I once saw a "star" mysteriously brighten then completely disappear with a very slight lateral movement. I suddenly came to realize that I must be on the butt target end of a meteor headed directly toward me. Thankfully those kind burn up completely long before reaching the ground, but in the case of UARS.... :eek:
Are you sure you weren't seeing an Iridium flare?

Doug

Are you sure you weren't seeing an Iridium flare?

Doug
Positive. This experience I mentioned was in my college days, long before the Iridium constellation existed. Anyway, there certainly would always be a horizontal component to an Iridium's motion, whether just during the few seconds of the flare, or when viewing the non-flaring craft, which itself is quite visible across most of a dark sky given a favorable sun angle.

I am well aware of Iridium flares and have seen many. As a matter of fact, I regularly check the schedule when I am guiding wilderness treks or training guides. It makes quite an impression when without prior notice during an evening lesson I point to a direction in the sky a few seconds before the appointed flare time and say: "and now over here..." :D

Last edited:
It's down. CNET quotes NASA's release, which says the satellite "fell back to Earth between 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23, and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24."

The Christian Science Monitor reports that pieces of debris hit the ground in Okotoks, Canada (near Calgary).

Odds are about 1 in 21 trillion that I'll be hit by the satellite. I'd have to imagine this is calculated by averaging the area I occupy in relation to the rest of everything else on the surface of the earth. I figure I'm about 4 times less likely to be hit if I'm hiking (upright, occupying less surface area) than if I'm napping. Odds are pretty high, though, that SOMEONE will be hit. I declare World Hike Day !

This is a bit like Billy's carried watch theory.

Hey, how about that CERN neutrino ? Einstein was WRONG ;) ! Have a great weekend. I'm working :(. I better stand at my desk...

If someone from around here gets hit, I hope Im hiking near them, I would love a piece of that satallite.:p

If someone from around here gets hit, I hope Im hiking near them, I would love a piece of that satallite.:p
No one would need to get hit for you to do that. :confused: Either way, NASA would come after you, as they claim all space junk belongs to them (and they also claim that some of it could be hazardous, but I think that's mostly to scare people).

No one would need to get hit for you to do that. :confused: Either way, NASA would come after you, as they claim all space junk belongs to them (and they also claim that some of it could be hazardous, but I think that's mostly to scare people).

First they would have to find me.

Indeed, they already know where you posted from. I'll bet they are compiling a dossier on you right now! :D :p :eek:

Im still sleeping good at night, if they have time to waste following a climbing bum like me, well then they really must be caught up on everything else. :D