Will new memory card reset settings and routes in GPS Map 60CSx?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I got a new memory card for the Garmin 60CSx. Loaded 4 different, large mapsets onto the harddrive and then dumped one onto the new 2Gb card.

Quick question, if I load the new memory card with mapset into the GPS, will it change any of the settings, saved routes, etc or will it be business as usual as far as the GPS is concerned?

Thanks

Peakbagr said:
I got a new memory card for the Garmin 60CSx. Loaded 4 different, large mapsets onto the harddrive and then dumped one onto the new 2Gb card.

Quick question, if I load the new memory card with mapset into the GPS, will it change any of the settings, saved routes, etc or will it be business as usual as far as the GPS is concerned?
No. Only the maps and optional daily tracks are stored on the memory card.

Doug

Yah!! I just loaded 2008 from that Amazon deal onto my Hard drive and then got rid of the old Topo Mapsource. I then proceeded to put 2025 segments into my 2G micro-disk on my 76CSx and no issues. Everything else remains, that was previously on the 76CSx.
I only wish I could load all the map segments via my SD Card slot on my laptop. I think it would be quicker than USB2.0. Took me abut 6 hours to remove 2025 old segments and load all 2025 new Topo 2008 segments.

Thanks...

Rick, how come you didn't use the card reader? My experience is that its way faster. Also, I think the mapset loads faster when you put the same number of maps on a card that is much larger than the number of maps that Garmin limits you.

I didn;t know I could. I didn't see anythng about it in the instructions... How did you do it?
Peakbagr said:
Thanks...

Rick, how come you didn't use the card reader? My experience is that its way faster. Also, I think the mapset loads faster when you put the same number of maps on a card that is much larger than the number of maps that Garmin limits you.

Rick,

Select all the maps you want, keeping in mind size of card and Garmin limitation on number of maps.
Then do a 'save as' to your hard drive naming the mapset. For as many different mapsets as you want.
Then copy to card in reader or reader slot.

Got this tip from a Garmin tech when I first got the GPS. We were discussing card sizes(they were smaller a couple of years ago) and he said people either buy separate cards, a bigger card, or just make a number of different mapsets, store on computer, and just download a new set anytime you travel outside of the mapset currently on the card.
Do all the saving 1 time, and then freely overwrite maps on card with replacement.
You can move them from computer to computer as well.

Wow Thanks. After I read your previous post I went in and starting looking around. Quite frankly, I simply didn't realize I could save them to another drive. I have a couple of spare 1 gig SSD cards lying around and I think I will save most major cities and national parks to them and label them as such - I think this is awesome!!! Thanks so much for the tip.

Last edited: