Willoughby-Pisgah Landslide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The Lake Willoughby "gap" in the Northeast Kingdom is widely visible from the Franconia mountains. It looks like the cliffs on the east side (Mt Pisgah) let loose Saturday in a big landslide. It's not clear to me if it affected the Mt Pisgah Trail but I think not. Smaller landslides have been happening there recently so the whole cliff area looks unstable.

Wow, Chomp, VAS, and I were just there a few weeks ago. I'de really be interested in seeing pictures. I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.

Thanks for the info.

- darren

I haven't seen any yet but they'll be along in time, I'm sure. I'm wondering if the slide took out the Last Gentleman ice route:

"An ascent of the Last Gentleman is one of the finest ice outings in New England, and is truly a benchmark in any ice climber's career.
Park your car by the east shore of Lake Willoughby about halfway up the lake in a pullout on the right. Look for a tracks heading up the slopes to the ice climbs. The Last Gentleman is the prominent, leftmost flow on the tallest part of the cliff system. Occasionally it has a common top section and two independent lower sections. Approach the route by climbing up snow gullies to the route's base. 30 minutes."

Wow, what an amazing thing to see! I also can't wait to see the pics. I was a few miles southwest of there on Saturday.