Wilmington Peak - 2 July 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nundagao

Reaction score
The north trail to Cooper Kiln Pond had only a few mudholes and a couple of small downed trees which I cleared on my way out, but a little less than half a mile in were two big windfalls which called for heavier tools than my folding saw. Near the leanto, the pond impinges on the trail due to recent beaver activity. Fresh mountain bike tracks on the trail looked like they were headed through and down to the Hazelton Road. Beyond the pond, Spencer's guide to "The Other 54" speaks of a herd path. I didn't see any path to start off, but the woods are fairly open and route finding only required taking the right compass bearing and heading uphill. Closer to the top of the ridge was an intermittent path which led through a couple of patches of easy-to-skirt blowdown. It looked like an animal trail but went in the right direction, ending at the viewless summit, which was marked with a band of red tape on a tree. Wilmington Peak is not really one of the other 54; it's the 101st highest but one of the true 100, Dun Brook Mtn, is currently private, posted, and off-limits so maybe it counts. Regardless, it was a satisfying little adventure; up and down in 4 hours and the woods to myself the whole entire time.

Enjoyable trip report and as you know, on any 'whack, sometimes being 30' left or right and you'll find a herd path or nothing.
Your note on Dun Brook Mt - Even before the Finch Pruyn sold their land, the summit of Dun Brook was not included in the leases of the nearby sportsman's clubs. According to the FP forestry manager, the only people who could 'legally' summit Dun Brook were the FP executives. I have no idea why. ;)
Dun Brook and the two Fishing Brook peaks are included in the lease category of the land transfer. The DEC Dept of Lands and Forests has drafted hiker easements to all three summits. Whats waiting is NYS to free up the money to put into motion the purchased and eased land. Then hikers will have ready access to all 3 peaks.
Until that happens, Dun Brook continues to remain officially off limits to anyone according to the head of the Adirondack Chapter of The Nature Conservancy. So far as I know, only the TNC could give permission for access and TNC says they aren't doing it.
Since you mentioned DB in you post, just wanted to give folks a heads up."

The Keene Valley Office of the Nature Conservancy: 518-576-2082

Last edited: