Winch pond/dead trees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treg

Reaction score
I was on a trail run in the Adirondacks...we did an out and back off of rte86 near Whiteface. The trail passes by Owen, Copperas and Winch ponds....when we got to Winch pond, the trees along the entire shoreline were all dead. Can anyone tell me what is causing this....just curious. It's such a neat little pond ....and a really cool little trail run.
Thanks, Tom

Yes, Winch is a beautiful place. We were there last summer: the entire hike past all three ponds was loaded with photo ops of gorgeous mushrooms. I recall the dead trees - perhaps the water level was higher once and drowned them.

thanks

Our run was in a good downpoor, early morning and the ponds were really beautiful. I thought perhaps it was a water level issue or acid rain? In any case the early morning fog and rain were just calming and I'll always remember it.

If you have a photo of the area and can tell me it's elevation and are the trees in water or along the shore? I might be able to awswer your question . I am not very familair with the Dak only having been ther once I climbed Algonquin and Marcy . I do not even know the names of the trails I used i hiked in form the ADK Loj. . but I do rembver it was near a lake or pond and the rangers were pleasant but strict about hanging food keeping the place clean which is good .