Winter hiking jacket

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Looking for suggestions on a bomb-proof winter hiking jacket. What do you wear? Down vs synthetic? Weatherproof, or do you wear a shell over it? What's a good on-line place to get one on clearance? Any and all info appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. Looking for something good to about zero degrees F. Probably won't venture up and out if it's colder than zero.

p.s.s. Yes, I layer with a couple layers of techwick and fleece, but I need something for when things get interesting above tree-line.

Last edited:
I generally don't wear a heavy insulating layer while hiking. I wear a longsleeve techwick like layer as a base layer, both top and bottom, followed by a fleece layer usually only on the top unless the temps are below zero, then fleece on the bottom too. Finally I wear a shell layer with full side zips on the bottom and the top will vary depending on how much of a workout I am getting but usually tends to be a gortex shell. During the times when I have hiked in temps below minus 10, I add a synthetic insulating layer like my Golite synthetic jacket. Only once have I hiked in my down jacket and a shell over it and that time it was minus 25 at the trailhead.

I always carry my down jacket in my pack for breaks and if I get too cold.

I shop online a lot and get various things to add to my collection but I NEVER buy retail.

as some examples:

EMS techwick - $7 - $10 (reg. $30) a piece at the end of winter sale
Golite synthetic jacket - $10 (reg. $120) at www.northernmountain.com, one of my top deals :)
Columbia Titanium 3-in-1 Gortex Jacket - $120 (reg. $399) at REI end of winter sale
MH SubZero with Hood Down Jacket - got it as a gift from my boyfriend but I found the deal at Lahouts (40% off retail) to save him some money.

Look online at the outlet stores and gear sites like sierratradingpost and others listed above. I have a blast getting good deals and testing layering systems.

sli74

I usually wear a similar system, but wool instead of fleece. Earlier this winter I bought the REI Gossamer jacket. It's really thin primaloft, has a nice hood and fits perfectly under my north face shell. With the shell I'd say it's bombproof, and by itself is nice too, breathes better that way. Generally it's too warm to hike in, and probably isn't sufficient as an emergency layer. I have two larger down parkas that are better for that.
But for brutal (windy plus really cold) above treeline the combo is pretty good.

On my winter hikes I have been going with Techwick shirt and then another Techwick with long sleeves or a heavier Bergelene shirt and then a wind shirt. I found myself hiking in just these shirts several times in good weather below treeline. On top of the shirts I wore my EMS Appollo soft shell jacket and if I needed a shell I would then put on my EMS Gore-Tex XCR shell. I always carried my down parka in my pack to put on during rest stops. It's all about layering. Don't get anything too heavy that doesn't compress well to stash in your pack if you don't want to wear it.

As much as I like hiking and climbing in the winter, I think I am ready for some warm weather. :)

I have used my GTX XCR shell, Marmot softshell, and a base layer to about -40° while hiking, and when I stop I throw the down parka on the outside. It's a system that works well for me as I can easily regulate the temperature to what's needed.

Typically I'm in a base layer, mid-weight at most, a mirco-fleece shirt & maybe a vest if -5 to 10. As I get higher up, the vest definitely, maybe a lifght fleece jacket & G-tex.

I don't winter camp & if it's -15 with a 40 MPH wind or higher, I'm not stopping out above treeline for any length of time.

A warm jacket(single layer) is best for peopel who cool down quickly take long breaks (making camp or stopping to eat & cook a warm meal, etc.) or in case you get stuck out longer than planned. I can't see it being part of a intergrated clothing system for managing different temps, just one, cold.

I have a midweight, heavier techwick bottom, then fleece vest (30 degrees, +-10) or jacket (anything below 15). If it gets close to 0 then on goes the Goretex jacket. Even when at first I'm shivering in the cold and throw on the down jacket... as soon as I get moving I'd overheat like crazy. You have to get into the mindset that once you get moving you WILL warm up a lot.
When you're figuring out your layering system you will see many days of starting out warm and then having to stop 10 minutes later to shed a layer.

Mike P. said:
A warm jacket(single layer) is best for peopel who cool down quickly take long breaks (making camp or stopping to eat & cook a warm meal, etc.) or in case you get stuck out longer than planned. I can't see it being part of a intergrated clothing system for managing different temps, just one, cold.
I agree, I have helped many people who were shopping for the warmest thing out there (obviously a down jacket) and I always made sure to ask what they were using it for, because anything more than strolling around town (skiing, hiking, etc...) will get you very hot and have you sweating
- although I did use my down over 3 layers while climbing this winter and was just ok, so you never know and it's always good to have one around.

For serious insulation I love EMS primaloft jacket and pants (discontiued?) (pertex cover, hooded). The jacket for lunching, the pants if winter camping. While hiking I start with duofold wool/synthetic pants with campmor high peaks pinnacle pants, super breathable and proofed, full zip when the temps get warmer for venting. I have the jacket as well, love it over EMS system III, heavier but IMO breathes better. I like to stay dry when it rains (wicking shirt and fleece layer transfers sweat well). If no real threat of rain I'll bring the EMS for wind protection, saving weight. For the money and performance I love campmor's pinnacle series, super tough, set for less than $200.

hey,

gotta have two pieces!

while hiking you will get TOO hot if wearing an insulating layer, yet you need one for breaks, emergencies or anytime you have to stop moving and making heat. if its not too cold i will bring a primaloft or down vest. if its really cold i bring a down jacket. i keep the insulating jacket handy in my pack. its its wet out or wet snow i make sure my down is in a ziplock or drysack.

you also need something waterproof and windproof for the elements, which you could wear the entire hike depending on conditions.

but, there is no way you could wear one coat that could keep you warm when not moving and not make you sweat while hiking up a moutain.

just my advice, the best thing to do is just experiment a bit, all bodies and minds react a bit differently, but the main idea is prolly very similiar.

ps. the clearence racks end of season and good sales in season are your best bet. i got a patagucci down sweater a few months ago at north cove outfitters for 1/2 price, its the greatest thing ever. weighs like 11oz, packs up smaller than a nalgene and is super warm.

FYI Great deal out there, military cold weather pant liners are wonderful, cheap, usually under 10 bucks, warmth to weight ratio is ridiculous.

dvbl said:
Looking for suggestions on a bomb-proof winter hiking jacket. What do you wear? Down vs synthetic? Weatherproof, or do you wear a shell over it? What's a good on-line place to get one on clearance? Any and all info appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. Looking for something good to about zero degrees F. Probably won't venture up and out if it's colder than zero.

p.s.s. Yes, I layer with a couple layers of techwick and fleece, but I need something for when things get interesting above tree-line.

For winter hiking, I prefer a breathable shell worn over appropriate insulating layers. An example is a simple anorak.

In case of wet snow or rain, I also carry a Precip anorak.

I have an REI shell with a zip in fleece lining (it also has a zip in down jacket and vest available.) Problem with this is that the weight of the shell makes me hate it...so this is what I do now, and I have been fine in sub zero condition with 40-50 mph winds.

Technical base layers - usually 2 or three cool max layers...great for wicking and quick drying.

Then, depending upon the day I bring one or two fleece jackets to wear over.

After that - I have a Marmot Precip which is water/wind proof and weighs next to nothing.

If things get real bad I also carry long underwear (wicking), fleece pants and have many extra hats and gloves/mittens.

For pants I found a great deal on ski/snowboard pants at TJ Maxx - $25 I thing...very waterproof and they breathe.

For deals - I find EMS and REI to be tough to find a deal at unless you are petite or huge...average people sizes tend not to make it to the clearance rack.

Sierra Trading, Campmor are often good places to look around.

Layers are good

For winter 4K trips I wear a 4 layers above and two layers below. I wear a techwick or equiv T-shirt, a polypro medium weight top, and a techwick long sleeved shirt etc beneath a goretex parka, that has no insulation - it's just a wind and water barrier. I've got polypro long bottoms with full-length zipper goretex or equiv pants. I find that if I overheat, I can remove a top layer or two as needed while still below treeline.

I carry both a 300 weight fleece jacket, pants and an ems synthetic-filled parka for stops or emergencies. This past winter I haven't used any of my carried gear. I'm glad I had it with me, in case of an unexpected stop, but mostly the extra weight just built up my lowerback, shoulders and quads for Spring hiking! :D

Any opinions on Down vs synthetic fill in the Whites? Intially I went with a down vest until I realized how wet it can be in the Whites during the Winter. It seemed like a struggle to keep down dry and useable. I eventually found a synthetic jacket that would could be compressed (although not as much or as light as down, of course.)

-- LTH