Winter shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNR

Reaction score
Anyone here use a tarp, ID Silshelter or MSR Twin Peaks shleter as their main winter shelter in the Whites? What is the lightest winter shelter here, other than using a lean-to? Thanks.

I use the Twin Peaks for winter camping. It works great for me. I have not used it above treeline but it will withstand moderate wind according to MSR. Another option might be one of the Black Diamond 'mids.

Last edited:
Many winters ago I used a floorless Outbound Nova (very similiar to a Megamid) for a few winter trips. I really prefer a floored shelter though.
I don't like all the bits of snow and ice that seem to migrate across the plastic groundcloth onto my sleeping bag or bivy.

One night a woman with a very annoying dog kept coming back and forth under the tent wall into my shelter and licking my face and running back out - Dog was sleeping in her partially open vestibule.
I finally (around 11PM) had to go over and ask her to control her dog (Don't get me wrong I am a dog owner and love dogs.) :)

Wow, I Just rerad my post :eek: - It was the dog that kept coming back and forth into my shelter, not the woman!!!! Sorry (...and yes I am !!!!) :p

Maddy, thanks for the tip. I played with the BD Betalight for a couple of years and then moved onto an MSR trekker tarp and insert and have never ever been happier with a shelter!!!!

Rick-funny story and yes, I thought you meant the dog. :)
I was in Yosemite two with VFTT member, Nazdarovye and he had a tarp. He's got some pics of the setup I tried to find on TLB, but I think the trip report vaporized in a server crash a while back. Ask nicely and I bet he'll post a couple here for you.

Latest posts