Winter wrens...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
...are singing in Connecticut, as well as the White throated sparrows and juncos. Perhaps the wrens will start to sing in the Northern mountains by the end of the month.

can some one keep me posted? Winter Wrens are the perect sound track for an early spring hike.

Puck,

I have to ask. What that hell am I looking at in your avatar. I think I know what it is but I don't believe it. So I have to ask.

Sorry to be OT.

And yes, We have a sparrow sitting on the ledge outside our main door at work in CT.

Keith

Last edited:
You can listen to it here until you here them for real. :D

Can't wait for them to start coming back either. It's really neat getting up at the crack of dawn during spring and listening to all the birds go crazy at once.

Long story...but is it true? You make the call

My dad sent me this in an email along with the same picture. Sorry this is so long, but maybe you're interested.

Moose logging story
>
> Lew and the rest of the gang- We had been trying to keep this
> under wraps as we knew this would happen once folks found out that
> with some effort you can train moose to harness. Once this picture
> got out, it's been E-mailed around like crazy but no one has
> bothered to fill in the rest of the story so before any rampant
> rumors get going, I better write down what I know. I folks want to
> extrapolate on that, then Lord only knows where this picture and
> story will end up.
>
> The man in the picture is Jacques Leroux who lives up near
> Escourt Station and has always had work horses, first for actual
> work and then for show at Maine 's' many summer fairs.
>
> I think he had two matched pairs, one Clydesdales and the other
> Belgiums . He would turn them out to pasture each morning and then
> work them in the afternoon dragging the sled around the fields.
>
> Three springs ago, he noticed a female moose coming to the
> pasture and helping herself of the hay and what grain the work
> horses didn't pick up off the ground. Jacques said he could get
> within 10 feet of the moose before it would turn and move off.
>
> Two springs ago, the moose foaled(?)at the edge of the work horse
> pasture and upon getting to it's feet had not only the mother in
> attendance but the four horses. The young moose grew up around the
> horses and each afternoon when Mr. Leroux took the teams for their
> daily exercise the yearling moose would trail along the entire
> route next to the near horse.
>
> At some point, the yearling got so accustomed to Mr. Leroux that,
> after he had brushed each horse after a workout, he started
> brushing down the moose. The moose tolerated this quite well so Mr.
> Leroux started draping harness parts over the yearling to see how
> he would tolerate these objects. The yearling was soon harness
> broken and now came the question of what could you do with a
> harness broke moose.
>
> As you may or may not know, a great deal of Maine is being bought
> up by folks "from away" and some of them understand principles of
> forest management. Well the folks buying small parcels of land up
> in the area of the Allagash have it in their mind that they don't
> want big skidders and processors and forwarders on their small wood
> lots. Enter Mr. Leroux with his teams of horses.
>
> Every morning, when Mr.. Leroux loaded the teams into the horse
> trailer to go off to the days job, the yearling moose got quite
> riled up and one day loaded himself right into the trailer with the
> horses. At the job site, Jacques unloaded the horses and as the
> moose stayed right with them, he would take the Clydesdales and his
> brother Gaston would take the Belgians and off into the woods they
> would go with the moose trailing behind. They would put the harness
> on the moose in case they encountered someone who they could kid
> with the explanation that the moose was a spare in case something
> happened to one of the horses. The work required them to skid cut,
> limbed and topped stems to the landing where the stems could be
> loaded onto a truck for the pulp mill.
>
> All morning long the two brothers brought out twitch after twitch
> of stems with the moose following the Belgian team for the most
> part. At lunch break Jacques had the bright idea of putting trace
> chains and a whiffle tree on the moose's harness and all afternoon
> the moose went back and forth following the Belgians in and out of
> the woods dragging his whiffletree along the ground. As there were
> no stumps in the skid trail, the whiffle tree never hung up on
> anything and that first day in harness went great. So next day,
> they hitched on first a small stem and the moose brought it out
> just fine following the Belgians.
>
> Mr. Leroux told me they were up to four small stems now and the
> moose was doing just great. He cautioned however that there were a
> few problems with using a bull moose. Come June, when the new
> antlers start, the new bone is "in velvet" and must itch like
> crazy as the moose stops every once in awhile and rubs his rack
> against just about anything to appease the itch. Once, before the
> brothers learned to tie him of by himself while they had lunch,
> moose was rubbing his antlers against the hame on the Clydesdale
> called Jack and got it wedged there for a bit. Jacques said he
> wished he had a camera as it looked like moose was trying to push
> Jack over.
>
> The other problem is the rutting season. The brothers learned
> quickly to leave moose in the barn as he was constantly on red
> alert in the woods during this time. The brothers are also
> considering trying this with two females to make a matched
> pair which would become an instant hit at the Maine Fairs.
> The trouble with the bulls is their racks. They would be constantly
> rubbing and hitting each other and yes they would have to be gelded
> as I just couldn't imagine getting the two bulls anywhere near each
> other, let alone in harness.
>
> So now that this picture is going all over the place, the
> surprise has been let out of the proverbial bag. The Lerouxs want
> to continue the work of trying to get a pair of females in harness
> but they may have to end up breeding moose to do this and that's
> where they will run into trouble with the State of Maine IF & W.
> I'm sure they don't like the idea of the brothers "keeping" wild
> animals.
>
> Thought you should know the rest of the story. If any of you
> doubt this please contact Tom Whitworth in Ashland , Maine . I think
> he said was a second cousin to the Lerouxs and has seen this
> anomaly many times.
>
> Regards from your frozen Northeasterly most state

Thanks Toe Cozy, Now I know the rest of th story.

9595.JPG

Not to distract from winter wrens, but "word on the street" is that the Leroux story is bogus.

On the other hand, the above picture from the 1942 Caribou Winter Carnival (courtesy Maine Memory Network) is the real deal.

Puck, will do, and I am certainly looking forward to spring, and winter wrens and mountain thrush! I've had juncos all winter, btw.

Artex, great link, thanks.

Love the moose story, if it is real. El-bagr, great pic!

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
The juncos in my yard seem to come and go in no real pattern. I'm not a birder, but some years back I put feeders out and learned all the regular attendees so I could answer that most famous question "Daddy, what kind of bird is that?" They probably appeared near the thistle feeder on the kitchen window because there was finally enough snow cover to drive them to the feeders (which this year have not emptied at their normal rate.)

Tim

I do not validate the verity of said story

SAR-EMT40 said:
Thanks for the story Toe Cozy. That is so cool. Keith

Yeah, I tend to be more on the cynical, don't want to be gullible side of things, so I'm real sure about the truth of this story. Sounds like a Maine tall tale to me! I'd like to hear that story told by an old time Mainer. Of course that would take about 3 days! ;)

My parents have had a pair of pileated woodpeckers at their bird feeder to get the suet.

The barred owl calls have increased in the past couple of weeks. Try as he might, Dugan 3.75-legs can never quite figure out where they're coming from. Seems a bit late for it, but perhaps it's related to mating?

Dugan,
Barred Owls and Great-horned Owls both nest very early, comparitively speaking. They probably began vocalizing in earnest in mid-January to attract mates, with courtship and pair bonding occuring in February and into March. Mating will most likely occur soon if it hasn't already throughout much of New England. Vocalization will continue through the Spring as the female hatches her eggs and the pair cares for and protects their owlets.

Tim, Juncos are a year round resident where you live. The key is to note when they start to sing. They have bell like trill. Thier song is very common in the whites. In the Presidential range thier song and the white throated sparrow cuts through the breeze.

Chris- As I recall the Great horned owl starts to nest in late Jan, the barred in late Feb. So the calls are common as mating just before and after as they announce territory. Most owl recordings I have heard have spring peepers in the background. I feel rather stupid sitting in the woods in Jan with a recording trying to activate the owls with spring peepers on the recording.

Also, the grey jays should have thier eggs hatching soon, usually by the third week in March. I just hope that there are not alot of freezing rain this month. It has a way of killing the fledglings.

gaiagirl said:
Barred Owls and Great-horned Owls both nest very early, comparitively speaking. They probably began vocalizing in earnest in mid-January to attract mates, with courtship and pair bonding occuring in February and into March. Mating will most likely occur soon if it hasn't already throughout much of New England. Vocalization will continue through the Spring as the female hatches her eggs and the pair cares for and protects their owlets.

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, but I've been too lazy to confirm it in my bird books.

http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?location=North+America

Puck said:
Tim, Juncos are a year round resident where you live. The key is to note when they start to sing. They have bell like trill. Thier song is very common in the whites. In the Presidential range thier song and the white throated sparrow cuts through the breeze.

I read that in the field guide. However, as I said above, they don't really seem to be present in any given pattern. Once spring really sets in, I get a lot of goldfinches, chickadees, titmice and nuthatches at the feeders, along with an occasional hairy woodpecker. Those are the most-common visitors. I see a handful of juncos per year, but not at any given time. I am not a birder so I can't tell one song from another (except I know the chickadee for sure!)

Oh, one other certain call is the whip-o-will. We've had at least one nearby every year since I've lived in my house (8 years now.) It's an announcement of summer. Even my kids (7 and 4.5) know it means summer. I've managed to see it only twice. You have to wait for the call to tell you it's right out in the yard (eating lawn moths) and then sneak around from the other side of the house with a flash light.

Tim

Puck said:
Also, the grey jays should have thier eggs hatching soon, usually by the third week in March.

Might that have anything to do with me seeing no grey jays on Crawford Path last Saturday. I thought it odd to see none.

forestgnome said:
Might that have anything to do with me seeing no grey jays on Crawford Path last Saturday. I thought it odd to see none.

I don't think that is the reason for no sightings. They are always busy gathering, caching, and hording and gathering some more. They will go to where the food is most abundant. They are very territorial right now and there territories cover over 200 acres. If something died in thier territory they would busy themselves eating and caching the carcass. Also, there has been an abundance of food in the mountains with the mountainash and the cone crop. These jays also have elevation migration, that is theytend to go into the valleys dring the winter and return to the peaks later. (all according to abundance of food.)

You raise a question. In the regions with a lot of hikers, when will the gray jay most turn to hikers for hand outs? Spring and summer when there are more hikers or winter when there are fewer hikers.

Puck said:
You raise a question. In the regions with a lot of hikers, when will the gray jay most turn to hikers for hand outs? Spring and summer when there are more hikers or winter when there are fewer hikers.

That is an interesting question.

Anecdotally, I have almost exclusively encountered Gray Jays in winter, on or near open summits, looking for handouts. I have only met them in summer once, on a lake shore in Maine.
-vegematic

Latest posts