worst case winter tent stake-out technique ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I've googled and searched here. The best thread here I found was this one. I know the standard dead-men, snow bags, etc.

Just suppose there is little or no snow to dig into, no rocks to gather, no trees or boulders to tie off to, frozen solid ground. It's freezing and windy. What are the stake out techniques ? You only have standard tent components and winter travel gear. Assume structural integrity of the tent depends on at least 3 solid points of stake-out.

I can only think of one that would probably hold but I'm interested in what I might not be thinking of.

I have put a snow stake down on its side (with a cord attached to its center) and piled snow on top. Pack it down and wait for it to harden. If it is cold enough, you could sprinkle a bit of water on it, but you might need to chop it out when you leave.

An ice axe spike shoved into the ground is another possibility.

I've also used ice screws as tent pegs, but that isn't something the average hiker is likely to be carrying.

Doug

I made some stakes out of .75" x .035" 4130 tube and hammered them into the frozen Barnes Field ground with a ball peen hammer at the 2005 winter gathering. Kinda heavy though.
What about ice screws?

Good. I think that might cover it. I was thinking about Doug Paul's "frozen, laid flat with attachment cord" tent peg technique. I have also seen suggested carrying wooden dowels that you could bury and freeze with water. No worries here as they'd degrade if you couldn't hack them out in the morning. But Hamtero's suggestion makes me believe carrying a few knifeblade pitons and a small hammer would be a good idea if I really expected to be in such a situation.

Chip said:
But Hamtero's suggestion makes me believe carrying a few knifeblade pitons and a small hammer would be a good idea if I really expected to be in such a situation.
Knifeblades might work if you have an appropriate rock crack, but they are unlikely to be of much use in ice.

Just say no to shale...

Doug

I can't think of a situation where one might be camping in these conditions, exept maybe on moraine (even then you will have small rocks to bury deadmans with after you chop a hole). Most terrain will at least allow for some type of standard anchors. I think the most complicated situation would be camping on smooth flat rock, like on the summit of Half Dome...

Not sure if I would really want to be camping on a morraine.. Every little noise would keep me up! :) A friend of mine camped in Wrangell St Elias a 1/2 mile from one, it was making noises all through the night and it was keeping me up.

Smooth Flat Rock, above treeline... no snow or ice or dirt.. no rocks... no freestanding tent.. Maybe use Gorilla Glue? :D

You can always kind of use weights in the corners, a stove here, water bottles, boots...

Jay

Last edited:
This would be a free-standing tent but the front and rear vestibule needs to be firmly staked out if there is any wind/weather afoot. This has happened to me on frozen ground where I didn't necessarily want to search the area for rocks or branches. It may also be a factor at/above tree-line in winter. Like I said: "worst case" I'd still need a minimum of 3 rock-solid anchors. "Best case" there is snow, rocks, etc to use. Thanks for the help !

Latest posts