XC Ski boot=Blisters...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
So, I was out walking Geneva early this morning and we were down by the river, looking at the ski tracks. I would love to get out there and do some back country skiing, but here is my problem;

Every time I go out for the first ski in winter I get the biggest, nastyiest, ickyest blisters on both heels. I mean HUGE, and they take about 6-8 weeks to heal. Which of course doesn't help with hiking either. Believe me, hiking in clogs in the winter is something you will soon want to forget, but your friends will never allow you to. :eek: (Sadly, that is a true statement)

I have tried the following:
band aid blister pads to prevent them
duct tape
2 socks
single lay of socks
no socks
thicker and thinner socks
vaseline
and a few other things...

But to no avail.

Does anyone out there have a great 'preventing the blister the first time out' tip? I should add that I don't even know or remember if I can use these boots later in the season, since the last 2 or 3 years I have not even bothered to put them on.

I would really like to get back out there skiing, since I have so many super trails right here from the house. But limiting myself to only being able to wear clogs for 2 months in winter gets old.

Thanks in advance!

Not to be a wiseguy but it sounds like you need new boots that fit properly. I'd go rent a few different types if I were you. Alternately, since you apparently are getting heel lift you could try SuperFeet or similar insoles to take up more room and keep the heel lift from happening.

Tim

I am in the same boat with my boots. The superfeet didn’t work for me but what I have found to work on shorter trips, I will use body glide (really cake it on the heal and around the flex point on my boot), thin sock liners then a mid-weight hiker. Like I said, it is works for shorter trips.
The body glide is much thicker then Vaseline and is water resistant.

I will have to take the advice of renting differnet boots until i find the right pair.

Agree with Tim. Also, you can try to put benzoine tincture on the skin before hand. This will help to toughen the skin a bit.

Seems to be a boot problem for sure. Take your finger and run it inside the boot along the heel just above the sole. This is usually a heavy stitch area especially in boots. I have a few pair that have that problem and the best solution was to cover that area more than my foot. You can stick one of those big blister cover patches right on the spot rub smooth and even cover that with duck tape. Then use body glide (which might be my favorite product) on the heel like someone suggested and use two layers of socks that aren't cotton.

Also, do you take the late fall off? Your feet can soften up quickly if your not out there. Just wearing shoes around to work and such will not make them tough like some of these activities require.

I agree with BHSF, If you have tried all of this in the past, and you are getting huge blisters on both heels, it sounds like the boot fit is the problem. You will usually only get blisters due to moisture and friction. Moisture softens the skin and as the layers start to rub, the friction in turn causes heat.

The first thing I would question though, is if your feet are damp from perspiration, maybe you are going out too long on your first few trips. Perhaps shorter trips, even walking around in the boots for an hour a day to make sure they are broken in properly. You don't say what they are, but heavy duty BC leather boots really take a while to break in.

If this isn't the problem. Time to put them up on Ebay and buy a better boot from a qualified backcountry retailer. When you are there, walk around the store with them on for an hour or so. Reputable dealers will let you return them if you haven't worn them outside. So take them home. Wear then around the house and see hoe they feel. BTW, avoid the kid working at the "Ski Rack" who says things like "Those boots are totally like rad burners, Dude, You should like get them dude..." :)

I have a similar problem. It's the curse of wide ball/narrow heel... My boots even have that "thermo-fit" stuff in them and I still get heel lift. Just a little, it rubs the inside of my heels raw. They don't even blister; they go straight to raw and bloody. My heels blister with snowshoes.

I have found that body glide helps, as does vaseline. A thinner sock seemed to help too. As weird as it sounds, it allows my foot to move a little more in the boot and not cause as harsh of rubbing in that particular spot.

Unfortunately, I have mostly given up on blister prevention and accepted it as a fact of life (ie. my feet). What I am really good at is taping up blisters and raw spots. If you can do that, at least you can continue once the damage is done. It isn't fun, but it works.

I suppose it is time to break down and get a differnt pair of boots. I kept thinking if I could just break them in a little it would stop, but I really don't think that is the case. :(

So, if anyone needs a pair of SNS Salomon Back Country leather ski boots, size 39 with hardly any use let me know.

Maybe i will bring them into IME for the consignment store.

Cure...

I have a 100% fool proof way to prevent blisters but it takes some commitment. Take a large handful (perhaps 2-3 heaping tablespoons worth) of vaseline and smear it all along the heel area of your boots and all through your socks. I have been doing this for 15+ years with no damage to the boots and no blisters. I mean even big stiff boots straight out of the box on long hikes.

But you cant be a sissy about applying the vaseline. Put on more than you think is appropriate and then double for the right amount. Literally a large handful. I will consume a good sized jar on one new pair of boots.

AND, if you ever do get a blister - here is the perfect cure. Thread cotton thread through a sewing needle. Enter the blister from the bottom and out the top. Then clip off the threads leaving 1" tails above and below. Here's the deal... most blisters just keep re-sealing until they finally rip open. You want that protective skin layer but also want your blister to drain. The cotton thread acts like a wick and drains the blister as you walk about. It will not reseal and eventually that skin will refuse to the heel once the draining is complete. I have left my thread in for days with only good results.

These two tricks have solved 100% of my blister issues.

Enjoy!
Jeff

Chugach001 said:
AND, if you ever do get a blister - here is the perfect cure. Thread cotton thread through a sewing needle. Enter the blister from the bottom and out the top. Then clip off the threads leaving 1" tails above and below. Here's the deal... most blisters just keep re-sealing until they finally rip open. You want that protective skin layer but also want your blister to drain. The cotton thread acts like a wick and drains the blister as you walk about. It will not reseal and eventually that skin will refuse to the heel once the draining is complete. I have left my thread in for days with only good results.
Watch out for infections--people have died from infected blisters in the days before antibiotics were available.

Doug