Yellowstone in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxs

Reaction score
I may be attending a medical conference in Big Sky Montana in Feb 08 and will have an opportunity to spend some time in Yellowstone. Has anyone been there in the winter? Any suggestions for activities - snowshoeing, cross country skiing?

No first-hand experience. But go to youtube and type in "Tom Murphy Yellowstone Christmas" to whet your appetite.

BIG SKY!!! Can I come too? Seriously, its a stunning area in winter; Yellowstone is about an hour away. You will NOT have trouble finding outdoor activities, altho' @ YS you are kind of limited as to how far you can get into the park unless you spring for one of their $now coaches. If I recall, Big Sky itself had some nice xc & snowshoe trails that accessed nice country right out the door, so to speak.

amf

Oh Carol, take me! Pat and I have been to Big Sky a couple of times. We did some backcountry skiing in the NW corner of Yellowstone, right where Rte 191 enters the park. There's a trailhead there, and you can take off in any direction - steep or flat, whatever you like. Wide open spaces and herds of elk on the far ridges.

Lone Mountain Ranch is a beautifully laid out and groomed XC center that we took advantage of a couple of times, close to the village about 6 miles from the alpine area (which had the best skiing I have ever experienced).

Now you've done it...I have to go back soon.

West Yellowstone (sounds a bit crowded) has all kinds of winter activity going on and many ski trails for all levels.

My son and daughter-in-law opted one day for the classic guided tourist venue and came back with awesome pictures of bison, waterfalls, bald eagles, hot springs, and more.

First of all, if you find yourself hungry and in Gardiner, MT, do not under any circumstances eat at the Wokking Panda. Trust me.

As far as skiing goes, hecks ya! There is a groovy trail from Tower Junction called the Tower Falls Trail. The Barronette Trail is a great out and back. We also hiked on the Lava Creek Trail. Yup hiked. Unfortunately, we when were there in Feb of '05 the snow levels were really low, so we didn't get to ski or snowshoe as much as we wanted. There are a number of trails we would have liked to have tried...oh well, next time.

For straight up nordic skiing definitely check out Lone Mountain Ranch and Bohart Ski Ranch.

Here are some pics (ignore the extra 20lbs. I'm carrying, and the crazy people in the third link. I really don't know any of them.)
http://homepage.mac.com/daniellenryan/OtherAdventures/PhotoAlbum34.html
http://homepage.mac.com/daniellenryan/OtherAdventures/PhotoAlbum40.html
http://homepage.mac.com/daniellenryan/OtherAdventures/PhotoAlbum41.html

Beckler Canyon

Not sure of the spelling, but we made a five-day x-c ski trip into the Beckler Canyon (sw corner of the park) a few winters ago, from Old Faithful Lodge, back when the snowpack (or lack thereof) was not the issue that it has become in recent years. Fantastic!

When I go back in the winter, I will not miss a soak in the confluence of the Boiling and Gardner Rivers . Access is a short hike (or ski) out of the 45th Parallel Parking (east side of the road), north of Mammoth and near the north entrance to the park.

West Yellowstone, WY is a cool town, 4 blocks by 6 blocks, restaurants, shops, bars, grocery stores. I am sure it's a Sno-Cat and snowmobile hub in the winter. I would gravitate towards Mammoth if you only have a day, West Yellowstone down to Old Faithful and back up through Mammoth if you have more time.