"Pound the Presis" - Presi travese to benefit TBTS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
"Pound the Presis" - Presi traverse to benefit TBTS

Ahem... Announcing the 3rd annual charity hike to Raise money for The Brain Tumor Society. We've had The Dare to Dayhike the Devil's Path in 2004, Escape the Escarpment in 2005, heres to the 3rd one in 2006, brought to you by the fine folks on VFTT, Darren, our fearless webmaster and ice cream provider and the fantastic volunteers every year.

I just got my fiscal calendar for 2006 and see that I have June 16th (friday) off for me, which means I shall schedule 2006's Pound the Presis event on Saturday, June 17th unless there is something major going on there. If you do know of another major event, please let me know!

Our intended route is probably going to be similar to what I did this year, North to South, from Valley Way in Appalachia to Crawford Notch (AMC Highland Center). Refreshments and water is always available at the huts (Madison->Washington->Lake of the Clouds) which are pleseantly spread out on the range. (Ice cream is available at Mt Washington!)

The only thing as far as costs go, may be for camping, which I am unsure whether we cram into Cherry Mtn Road or perhaps find a private campsite. Carol and I visited SherpaKroto's parents at Israel River and it appears a great place, but we'll see how many people show interest.

If a presi traverse is on your radar as hiking goes, join us for a fun time and for a good cause. No fundraising minimum, we're informal, I trust all of you, if you want to collect money or simply donate what you think is appropriate, great!. I will provide a sheet online for folks wanting to raise money, either by per mile or simply a lump sum (most people!)...

OK, that's it for now, Stay tuned to this thread for more info!

Jay

Last edited:
Jay, I am in.

Enjoyed participating in the Devils Path event, and look forward to this one close to home (new that is).

Also gives a good incentive to work out in the winter.

Once again count me in. The last time I was in the White Mountains was 1972.It's been way too long.I had a great time during the Devil's Path event and the Escape the Escarpment. Maybe some car pooling will be in order. A friend of mine had a brain tumor removed about 3 months ago. He is fine now.

Last edited:
Count me in too, I was planning my own traverse that Saturday also, I even stopped eating ice cream after the first round of the American League Play-offs. :( :rolleyes:

I'll probably get a bunk at Hiker's or a room in Colonial as a day in bed before a traverse sounds better.

If I can actually hike as much as I want to this winter and spring, sign me up for this one! I contemplated doing a Presi Traverse this past summer, but didn't go for it because I didn't feel prepared enough physically. But, if all goes well, I should be ready by next June! And I'm always up for hiking for a good cause. :)
-katie

Will be glad to volunteer again ...... Carla, too. Had a great time at the first hike (Devil's Path) and was sorry to miss the Escarpment hike. Jay, let me know if you need any help with anything.

Katie, I think you'll do just fine. And, there will be plenty of manned "aid-stations" with food/refreshments and bail-out points along the way.

Also, any folks wanting to catch a ride with us, we have room for 2, maybe 3.

Rob, Sent ya a PM...

Don't know if we need the volunteer support, hiking wise, since we'll have the huts to get water, but we will have people's cars spotted at various places for bailout points.

There's no pressure to do the whole traverse (I'm going to purposely avoid defining what a traverse is since some folks feel one way, others feel another! :) ) anyway, the purpose is to raise money and just have fun, stay safe.

Jay

anyway, the purpose is to raise money and just have fun, stay safe.

Jay[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why I will try my best to go and do what is comfortable for me.

Mcorsar,

If you've done the Devil's Path or the Great Range in a day the Presidentials should be okay (providing the other two weren't 10 years ago & you're now where near that fit.)

approx 21 miles 8000 feet of gain, a huge chunk of it above treeline on rocky terrain, parts more like rock fragments. Weather almost as much a factor in completing this trip as is fitness.

Fun & for a good cause.

Mike P. said:
Mcorsar,

If you've done the Devil's Path or the Great Range in a day the Presidentials should be okay (providing the other two weren't 10 years ago & you're now where near that fit.)

approx 21 miles 8000 feet of gain, a huge chunk of it above treeline on rocky terrain, parts more like rock fragments. Weather almost as much a factor in completing this trip as is fitness.

Fun & for a good cause.

Actually I haven't done the Range or the entire DP as a dayhike. The longest dayhike I've ever done was the Catskill Escarpment-a couple miles longer than the Presi Traverse, but probably significantly less elevation. I do hike a lot and I'm reasonably fit. I'll see what I feel like I'm up for in 8 months. I could always do less than the whole thing. Thanks for those figures though, it gives me something to think about.

Matt

Coldfeet, Cool, I expect to see some Coldfeet pancakes! :)

Matt: You'll do fine on this, it's really not that hard a hike, I've found the devil's path twice as hard, physically anyway. You can always do the Devil's Path as a dayhike next spring as a warm up and I'm sure you'll find others to join you, maybe me and Ralph too. What I think is the difference between the DP and the Presi traverse is the fact that the presi is above treeline, the DP is not, the Presis is a lot of rock hopping. The presis, being above treeline and higher in elevation is the possibility of nastier weather. But other than that, I did the presi traverse in rain but not wind and found it slippery but not that difficult. In fact, coming off Adams is where I witnessed Jean slip and cut his hand pretty nastily. Glad he was alright though and him and Nat. went back to madison hut to fix up the cut which was bleeding profusely due to being a hand cut.

Guy: Yeah, I'm up for a winter Presi Traverse attempt too... You have dates in mind yet???

Like Mike P says, weather will be a bigger factor in this, however I think my time on the presi this past june with cool weather, rain or mist all day long was leave Appalachia around 4:30am, I was at crawford notch around 5pm. This includes all the side peaks like Clay, Franklin, and I went up and tagged Pierce and back to the Crawford Path (which was a flowing stream when I went down it!).

I would say the Escarpment trail is easier, as I've done all three.

Jay

I want to finish the traverse this time so I am putting this date on my calendar. I would be up for car pooling, meeting up with some of the NY folks and driving the rest of the way with a group. I will not rule out flying into Manchester again if the price is right.

I will of course be there! My fundraising may be limited since I'll be prioritizing the BTS bike ride (are we doing that again?), but I'll certainly do whatever I personally can besides just pounding my feet and complaining about the ascents.
:)

Thank you, Jay, for organizing! Now be sure to remind us again in May. :D

Last edited: