BBQ'ing on the top of peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
few of us thinking of hauling a weber baby q on top of a summit TBD and get a good BBQ going. Big fat steaks on the top of a peak - doesn't get nay better than that. Does this violate any rules?? I don't think so, but sometimes you never know. :) :) :D

That depends......

What kind of steaks??? And, what kind of beer? - No beer and you're starting to violate the rules! :D

Do you plan to post the details in advance?

Hey, you can even buy a $15 disposible grill and use charcoal for your fire. the key is that the disposible grill is pretty portable as the legs typically just slide into the grill section... They're not terribly big though so you might just be able to fit one big juicy steak per grill...

Jay

BIGEarl said:

not a chance in hell - but you might get a pm in your box ;)

jay - you do know that once you cook on a weber - nothing else can be used - you turn into a grill snob :cool:

I think this might be illegal in wilderness areas... Federal regulations clearly state that you can only cook un-marinated steaks over a natural fire.

Hey -

Use the Shizz Mac 30 minute marinade in a bag and it will be more than ready by the time you make the top!

ps - will there be avocado in the salad? (there WILL be salad and Irish potatoes...?) if so, i may have to fly up just for the meal... :D

So whats the rush? Get ribs and brisket with a good rub. Take your time as it slow cooks. Of course baste with a good maple mustard mop. Look at the view and polish off the beer. While you are eating take advantage of the last of the coals...apple-chocolate quasadilla.

Extreme BBQ'ing

giggy said:
few of us thinking of hauling a weber baby q on top of a summit TBD and get a good BBQ going. Big fat steaks on the top of a peak - doesn't get nay better than that. Does this violate any rules?? I don't think so, but sometimes you never know. :) :) :D

Why not starting "Extreme BBQ'ing" :D

The dudes at Extreme Ironing are making money on it with their calendars etc.

This could be giggy on top of Lafayette.......just with a grill instead of the ironing board:
http://www.extremeironing.com/modul...ame=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

giggy said:
not a chance in hell - but you might get a pm in your box ;)

jay - you do know that once you cook on a weber - nothing else can be used - you turn into a grill snob :cool:

I have a Weber kettle (charcoal) that I bought in 1973 still in great shape! The one I had previous to it was stolen from my porch in the middle of the night. I've also got a gas Weber that I've been using for close to twenty years - (it got a complete rebuild a couple years ago).

They make a great product! The results are terrific.

:D :D :D

I remember hiking out the Wilderness trail after a three day trip; the last day was the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, probably 1984. Hiking in to Franconia Falls were hoards of folks, some pulling full sized tripod grills (with two wheels and one leg) and carrying 30 gallon coolers between them as they avoided the RR ties. Ah, those were the days.

David Metsky said:
I remember hiking out the Wilderness trail after a three day trip; the last day was the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, probably 1984. Hiking in to Franconia Falls were hoards of folks, some pulling full sized tripod grills (with two wheels and one leg) and carrying 30 gallon coolers between them as they avoided the RR ties. Ah, those were the days.

Those were the days when hikers were actually hiking in the woods instead of cyber-hiking on vftt :D

What are you going to do with the coals when you are done? Someone is going to have one hot backpack...

I'd go for marinated sirloin tips. Plus you should bring one of those small battery powered TVs so you can watch some football while you are grilling. :D

- darren

BIGEarl said:

To quote the inimitable Timmus, "I'm sorry, the group is full."

giggy said:

Oooohhhhh Giggy, I know you ya little bugger! Your gonna do this on the AT aren't you? Get the Thru Hikers all in a tizzy.....maybe throw a sirloin down Lincoln Slide and watch as 4 NoBo's go tumbling down after it!? Start the first NoBo fight club.....only one survives and wins a beer and a burger? :D :D

I knew you were devious, but this is just.........................awesome! ;) :p

Brian

giggy said:

A Fool Scout salute to you. :)

If you decide to put some poles on the grill and carry it up like the ark of the covenant, pm me for volunteers.