BBQ'ing on the top of peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan this summer is to haul some watermelons up a mountain and share them with strangers. Your idea blows mine away. Have fun.

If you get caught on the hike out and you get told that you violated some law/statute, just say what George Costanza (of Seinfeld) said when he got caught sleeping with the cleaning lady at work: "Was that wrong? Cuz I gotta be honest here...I had no idea that kind of thing was frowned upon."

giggy said:
no charcoal - would use the small propone cannisters - this grill runs on the same blue ones that you use torches to plumb with.
I can't find the thread, but isn't there a big gas grill hidden up there somewhere already ?

I think glass bottles and charcoal go better with steak. Shotguns and gas spells Brats and burgers,
not that there's anything wrong with that :) .

Chip said:
I can't find the thread, but isn't there a big gas grill hidden up there somewhere already ?
I'm not sure if you mean the Grill on the false summit of Dorset, attached to the remains of the fire tower?

Tom Rankin said:
I'm not sure if you mean the Grill on the false summit of Dorset, attached to the remains of the fire tower?
I don't think so. Maybe I read it elsewhere or the Grillers have covered their tracks, but I seem to recall a story of a well hidden and annually recovered gas grill in the Lakes of the Clouds Hut vacinity.

giggy said:
few of us thinking of hauling a weber baby q on top of a summit TBD and get a good BBQ going. Big fat steaks on the top of a peak - doesn't get nay better than that. Does this violate any rules?? I don't think so, but sometimes you never know. :) :) :D

Maybe you can start a new list...Grilling on the 48...not likely this is Giggy were talking about.

ummmmm.... hold on there! Exactly where and when are you planning this BBQ?

you wouldn't mind if I put my steak on your grill for a few minutes on each side?

giggy said:
few of us thinking of hauling a weber baby q on top of a summit TBD and get a good BBQ going. Big fat steaks on the top of a peak - doesn't get nay better than that. Does this violate any rules?? I don't think so, but sometimes you never know. :) :) :D

Very funny that you are asking this question Giggy, because I want to make an event out of my NH48 finish in september (probably labor day weekend).

I want to have a cocktail party on Moosilauke, with drinks and food at sunset. Add a BBQ and now we have a real thing going on !!

One detail : STRICT DRESS CODE:
Gentlemen: Jacket, shirt, and please also bring a tie (no jeans,
trainers, flip-flops, polo-shirts)
Ladies: skirt/top, cocktail dress (no denim, min-skirts, flip-flips, bad
tastes)
:eek: :D :D

How many of us is willing to climb up all dressed up with extra weight, and hike down drunk in the dark...

albee said:
To quote the inimitable Timmus, "I'm sorry, the group is full."

Well this one is open to all. And I will make a new thread about it when the time comes.

Sorry Giggy, I kinda hijacked your thread. Back to the BBQ. :)

Julie,
We carried shirts and ties for our finish on Sawtooth 5, and I carried the same clothing to the end of the TCT End to End hike one time.
Its been years since I'm been on Moose, and not that bad a drive from here.
Might get a couple of my friends' feet wet in NH.

Our question - are you carrying the champagne, ice, and caviar?

Celebrations.

I'm closing in on the ADKHH, and the 46-W. I have decided to celebrate with steamed tofu, celery juice and yoga. Giggy, your invited.

Chip said:
Is this negotiable ? I'm afraid The Gig may have a problem with this clause.
I think for Giggy's NH48 the guys will be required to wear banana hammocks. I can't wait, should be a swingin' good time.

Neil said:
I'm closing in on the ADKHH, and the 46-W. I have decided to celebrate with steamed tofu, celery juice and yoga. Giggy, your invited.

I would be into it - but it will be a cold day in hell, when I eat that stuff or do yoga.

beer, steak, and a bar fight is the best way to blow off steam. :eek:

This is terrible, I can't believe you "supposed" responsible hiker would advocate this silliness in the precious mountains. You're all horrible people and shoud be ashamed of yourselves at the thought of such foolery.

Do you have any any idea what the smell of grilling meat, gently wafting down into the woods will do to mountain wildlife. You'll surely petrify the poor little game animals and you'll surely attract the attention of the wayward bruin in the area.

You absolutely would be packing heat for all this, right :cool:

p.s. ummmmmmm, can I go? pretty please? I'll bring my own tofo.

mavs00 said:
This is terrible, I can't believe you "supposed" responsible hiker would advocate this silliness in the precious mountains. You're all horrible people and shoud be ashamed of yourselves at the thought of such foolery.

Do you have any any idea what the smell of grilling meat, gently wafting down into the woods will do to mountain wildlife. You'll surely petrify the poor little game animals and you'll surely attract the attention of the wayward bruin in the area.

Thermal? :)

Doug

mavs00 said:
The ole equalizer can be a lot of fun. Once the steak is gone and the beer bottles are all empty you use them for target practice.

Neil said:

Whatever you want Neil, but if you come to my party who HAVE to bring my make-up case up, remember ??

BIGEarl said:
I have a Weber kettle (charcoal) that I bought in 1973 still in great shape! The one I had previous to it was stolen from my porch in the middle of the night. I've also got a gas Weber that I've been using for close to twenty years - (it got a complete rebuild a couple years ago).

They make a great product! The results are terrific.

:D :D :D

I think there is a reason Weber named their premier series of gas grills "Summit":
http://www.webergasgrills.com/departments_Weber-Gas_Grills_path_7165.html