Pleasant Mt. via South West Ridge Trail 3/13/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
On the west side of the Pleasant Mt. Massive the snow has largely melted up to about 1300'. The ground is pretty well covered by 1500'. I put on the mini-crampons at that point.

There is a new sign above the Tepee indicating the direction into the woods to get to the summit.

Between the Tepee summit and the Cell phone tower summit the snow is quite deep. My pole went down close to four feet at one point. The snow was firm this morning but when it gets really soft there is going to be some great postholeing along that section. As there is no snow at the bottom and for a good ways up, absolutely no one will be going through there with snowshoes.

From the Tepee to the fire tower summit it was basically winter conditions with a fair bit of wind although not real cold. Lauky and I took the trail directly to the cell phone tower and over from there. There were some faint tracks on the alternate trail. I don't know which way all those behind us took, but most seem to prefer to go by way of the tower.

The main summit trail signs have been torn down.

On the way back down the snow on the long ledges section was getting quite soft.

As there is no snow at the trailhead, there is plenty of parking space. Mine was the only car when I left, there were ten cars parked there when I returned.

The sky was overcast today, but the views were nevertheless unlimited. Pleasant Mt. at the Fire Tower has outstanding views, add to that the incredible views, especially going down on the South West Ridge trail and that makes this one of the outstanding hikes in the whole region.

Last edited: