Another Spring Day another S&R effort

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attempting a Northern Presidential Traverse? What was his planned route? It was either a horrible plan or he got seriously messed up or both. And it says he abandoned his attempt. Was that on WED?? If he left MON and was out for 2 days where was he traveling? Clearly he did not know the area much if climbing into the Great Gulf at this time of year made sense to him. Yikes. At least he was prepared and we had another favorable outcome. This could have ended badly.

Taking a shortcut around the high summits via the Butress (or anywhere in the Great Gulf) especially this time of year is definitely a failure in logic.

“All his clothing and gear was soaking wet from the rain over the past couple days.”

Which is why every piece of my gear that MUST stay dry gets its own dry bag. I’ll comment to that effect on YouTube backpacker videos and get the expected “do you know how much that will WEIGH???” responses. Yup, less than soaking wet gear does. If I know it’ll be cold & wet the dry bags go inside my Xtherm pump sack, and I’ll even use a pack cover for a 3rd layer of protection. I spent enough time being cold and wet in the army, it ain’t happening when there’s no need for it.

Having spent several soggy sections hikes on the AT in the spring, everything does get damp/wet. The concept of warm while wet is a good concept but practical experience is its unless its a wet suit, its easy to get chilled.

The missing hiker from 2 weeks ago probably ran into a similar scenario, but he wasn't so lucky. Too bad they didn't find him while they were in there. Although my guess (and its just that) is that he went down Oaks Gulf.