Another missing hiker FOUND in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carmel said:
If he was at such an advanced stage of hypothermia that he took off his socks and his shoes, I don't know how he'd have the sense to make "signals" with his headlamp????
In the more advanced stages of hypothermia the body makes some last-ditch efforts to save itself, including dilating the capillaries on the skin. This creates the sensation of overheating, so people sometime remove their boots and later even their coats. It seems contradictory, as this heat is sent to the skin at the expense of the heart, brain and lungs, and often is part of the end-stage processes. It's not uncommon to find victims frozen to death, with much of their clothing removed.

This fellow was fortunate indeed. If he had progressed to the point of removing clothing, he probably wouldn't have survived much longer on his own.

And Carole makes a good point - we probably don't have enough info yet to comment on his specific actions.

A really good use for a Blackhawk helicopter.

Channel 5 Boston

Channel 5 Boston (WCVB) had an audio clip on their 6:00 PM news in which the hiker thanked the SAR teams many times for saving his life. "They all are real heros."

His statement was fallowed with a closing statement that NH is exploring charging the hiker $3,000 for the rescue.

His statement was fallowed with a closing statement that NH is exploring charging the hiker $3,000 for the rescue.

He was also quoted as saying he would respect whatever decision is made regarding the charge.

What is there about some outdoor activities that turns the brains of otherwise smart people (this guy was a law school student) into mush? I notice this in skiing a lot too....smart people just do crazy stuff. Somehow they must get to a mindset where they think activities like winter hiking and skiing are like going to a theme park, where you can get some thrills and be reasonably assured of your physical safety...bizzare.

Sugarloafer said:
What is there about some outdoor activities that turns the brains of otherwise smart people (this guy was a law school student) into mush? I notice this in skiing a lot too....smart people just do crazy stuff. Somehow they must get to a mindset where they think activities like winter hiking and skiing are like going to a theme park, where you can get some thrills and be reasonably assured of your physical safety...bizzare.

That's a good question, and some of the answers are found in a fascinating book "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales. It's a great read.

Crazy!

What I find interesting in these threads are the otherwise "Smart people that do crazy stuff" in that they assume that they will never let themselves get in such a predicament and have no compassion for those who do.

It could be any one of us out there caught in the wrong circumstances. A slip, a fall, a sudden squall. It's risky business. Pass on what you know, and don't pass judgement. That goes for everyone, novice or "expert".

KDT

No Snowshoes!

Why anyone would take one step on a trail in the White Mountains this year without snowshoes on their feet or strapped to their pack is just a mystery to me. Two steps off of any trail and you are likely to be up to your hips in snow. As we approached Franconia Notch at sunrise on Sunday morning, there were tops of hills so white that I had a hard time recognizing them. The snow is DEEP in them there hills. With all the best GPS tools in the pack, compasses, maps and overnight gear, it doesn't do anyone any good if you can't move any faster than a glacier because you are off the trail and in deep snow. Common sense 101.

Good link Bobby.

OK, so he had no snowshoes. Doesn't sound like that was a factor - he was never lost and those trails very rarely need them.

He was hiking alone. Doesn't sound like that was a factor.

Here is a case, IMO, that an "experienced" hiker (his gear seemed adequate, he appeared to know what he was doing w/ snowcave, drying out, pitching tent, etc.) that just got in over his head. I honestly feel this could happen to anyone of us. I've spent almost 40 years in those hills, and I have had times where I was scared sh**less. To me, it sounds like he just realized he was in over his head, and just wanted to get the hell out of there.

I don't know if it sounds "negligent" per se, but a rescue charge would seem to be appropriate. Basically, instead of getting himself out -which physically he appeared capable of doing -he called for a rescue. Not being in that situation, I'm not saying it was or wasn't the right thing.

dug said:
Good link Bobby.

OK, so he had no snowshoes. Doesn't sound like that was a factor - he was never lost and those trails very rarely need them.

He was hiking alone. Doesn't sound like that was a factor.

Here is a case, IMO, that an "experienced" hiker (his gear seemed adequate, he appeared to know what he was doing w/ snowcave, drying out, pitching tent, etc.) that just got in over his head. I honestly feel this could happen to anyone of us. I've spent almost 40 years in those hills, and I have had times where I was scared sh**less. To me, it sounds like he just realized he was in over his head, and just wanted to get the hell out of there.

I don't know if it sounds "negligent" per se, but a rescue charge would seem to be appropriate. Basically, instead of getting himself out -which physically he appeared capable of doing -he called for a rescue. Not being in that situation, I'm not saying it was or wasn't the right thing.
I disagree on the snowshoes because one article that I read seems to indicate that he had reached the trees (where he made a snowcave) so if he had to bushwhack out of there, snowshoes would have made it possible. But, his lack of map and compass probably made the prospects of any bushwhack dangerous and unlikely. Maybe he could have exhibited better judgment and looked at the weather forecast... it he was truly as hardcore and experienced as claimed he should have been able to get out of there. Franconia Ridge is not K2. The combination of factors: no snowshoes, no map and no compass probably contributed to making a cellphone call for a bail out despite the fact that he was not injured.

This is a case of personal responsibility. He couldn't get out and put rescuers lives at stake (luckily nobody was injured or killed trying to save his sorry ass) because he wasn't prepared. Sorry, he doesn't get a pass. Bring a map, bring a compass, bring snowshoes, leave the cell phone at home and get your sorry ass out of there on your own accord.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I disagree on the snowshoes because one article that I read seems to indicate that he had reached the trees (where he made a snowcave) so if he had to bushwhack out of there, snowshoes would have made it possible. But, his lack of map and compass probably made the prospects of any bushwhack dangerous and unlikely. Maybe he could have exhibited better judgment and looked at the weather forecast... it he was truly as hardcore and experienced as claimed he should have been able to get out of there. Franconia Ridge is not K2. The combination of factors: no snowshoes, no map and no compass probably contributed to making a cellphone call for a bail out despite the fact that he was not injured.

This is a case of personal responsibility. He couldn't get out and put rescuers lives at stake (luckily nobody was injured or killed trying to save his sorry ass) because he wasn't prepared. Sorry, he doesn't get a pass. Bring a map, bring a compass, bring snowshoes, leave the cell phone at home and get your sorry ass out of there on your own accord.

-Dr. Wu

I don't disagree with you on the whole. It sounds to me like he knew where he was, and just couldn't get himself out of there. $$$$-time. If he did need to pony up and bail out, the missing gear would have surely cost him. At the end of the day, I think we agree that he should pay. I personally don't think gear (lack thereof) is the reason. However, after some soul-searching I might agree with you.

dug said:
I don't disagree with you on the whole. It sounds to me like he knew where he was, and just couldn't get himself out of there. $$$$-time. If he did need to pony up and bail out, the missing gear would have surely cost him. At the end of the day, I think we agree that he should pay. I personally don't think gear (lack thereof) is the reason. However, after some soul-searching I might agree with you.
I just think that the snowshoes, map and compass could have given him an advantage that could have enabled him to hike out on his own. In addition, those items are less prone to failure than a cell phone is, especially in the mountains and in bad weather. Had he not been able to make that call the situation could have turned for the worse for Mr. Davis.

What's done is done -- it's hard to recreate all the variables he encountered (and reported) for a successful analysis. I'm glad he got out virtually unharmed but I will continue to grumble about the whole "personal responsibility" thing... I think he could have done more considering it seems like the rescuers were in harms way. If the helicopter crashed this story would have taken a completely horrifying turn that I wouldn't even like to think about.

-Dr. Wu

A map and compass are mandatory, there is no excuse for not having them. As far as snowshoes go, for the few extra pounds on your back, it's worth taking them along.

If the rescuer who contacted Davis was in 8-10 feet of snow as reported, then 'shoes may have made it possible for Davis to get out on his own.

Winter time, winter gear.

dr_wu002 said:
I just think that the snowshoes, map and compass could have given him an advantage that could have enabled him to hike out on his own. In addition, those items are less prone to failure than a cell phone is, especially in the mountains and in bad weather. Had he not been able to make that call the situation could have turned for the worse for Mr. Davis.

What's done is done -- it's hard to recreate all the variables he encountered (and reported) for a successful analysis. I'm glad he got out virtually unharmed but I will continue to grumble about the whole "personal responsibility" thing... I think he could have done more considering it seems like the rescuers were in harms way. If the helicopter crashed this story would have taken a completely horrifying turn that I wouldn't even like to think about.

-Dr. Wu

Right on, Wu.

Status
Not open for further replies.