Favorite 'Rainy Day' Hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My preferences would be trails near brooks with Cascades, especially if you don't have to cross them if the water is high.

If crossings are not dangerous, I'd consider Passaconaway by Dicey's Mill, the trail does a pretty good job of shedding water. A few years ago when NH had the October floods (2005) I did Whiteface & Passaconaway. Blueberry Ledge trail was a virtual brook, over the boots in several places & the cestion above Rollins on Dicey's was quite wet also. However, below Rollins, it was hard to tell I was hiking the same day, teh trail was that dry.

If hiking on rainy days, make sure the amount of rain forecasted is not going to make crossings hard. Owl's Head, the Twins, trails from the GG & Galehead can be tough to get to (or worse, return from) in high water.

I've done the Willey Range & the Ethan Pond trail in sub par summer conditions (drizzle, some showers, some w/out rain) & it's a nice trip.

dont ask me why, but my bad weather mountain any time of the year is Clinton.

From the trip reports I've seen wouldn't Owl's Head be your favorite hike - period?

I'm not sure it's my overall #1 but it's high on the list. :D

That reminds me, I haven't been to Owl's Head lately. I need to check my schedule. :) Maybe October. ;)

I agree with Sierra, Pierce (Clinton) is a favorite bad weather hike. I've been several times so I'm comfortable up there in poor visibility.

Open enough to get a feeling that your really out in the bad weather & close enough to cover & the car that you can get into the trees quick & back to C-Notch soon.

Liberty & Moriah (from Bangor Rd.) would be similar also.

..................the pub

That'd be my first choice.

As for outdoor hikes on a rainy day... just about any waterfall hike will do. Glen Ellis, Garfield and Franconia Falls are some of my favorites.