Massaemett Mt., MA, 02/04/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
Massaemett Mountain, Shelburne, MA

Trails(s) Hiked: Unnamed Trail from the large water tank near MA Route 2

Difficulty: Easy-Moderate

Conditions: Snow, patches of ice

Special Required Equipment: Cramp-ons would have helped in the middle third of the hike

Not really a big hike (just a bit over 1,000 vertical feet), but I hadn't seen any reports on it posted here before. While the trail isn't marked or signed, it is fairly obvious where it goes once you find it. The summit of the mountain features a really nice rock fire tower with views in all directions - on most days reaching to Mt. Snow, Mt. Greylock, UMass Amherst, Wachusett, and Monadnock.

Just about a month after hiking Massaemett on a 70 degree day, I ascended it in upper teen temperatures. After getting a late start on the trail, I witnessed much of the sunset on my way up. Nonetheless, upon reaching the top of the tower, there were still some colours to be seen.

While there were some tracks up the snow covered trail, it appeared that I had been one of only a handful of people who had made the climb since the Friday night snowfall.

On the whole, the trail was in pretty good shape - some hidden ice patches in the middle section, but mostly just snow covered ground.

Thanks for the report. So, how do you find the trail, or are you keeping it a secret?

On the DeLorme Atlas, there's a road almost to the top from the east, but the western side looks nice and steep.

Audrey:

One of my friends told me about this route back in the fall...prior to it, I had taken the one you describe on the east side on my father's shoulders when I was three (I guess that doesn't count) and more recently a path from the north near what's marked as "High Ledge" on the topographic map.

I have a map of the hike on my hiking site as well as a photo of the trailhead:
http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/Massachusetts/massaemett-2007-0204.php

If you're ever in western Franklin County, its definitely a worthwhile hike, along with Negus Mountain.

audrey said:
On the DeLorme Atlas, there's a road almost to the top from the east, but the western side looks nice and steep.
The AMC Guide used to describe a route from the farm to the E, I went up that way and came down by the water tank while my chauffeur drove the car around

There was yet another ATV trail/woods road heading down but I couldn't be 3 places at once so you will have to check it out