Rain All Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, if your driven to hike in crappy conditions do Willey, Field and Tom- no stream crossings

The first two stream crossings can be tricky sometimes, though the first one has somewhat of a crossing aide in place.

If you are going in for two nights with a high chance of steady rain all weekend, no views, slipper rocks, where do you go?:(
Hiking in the rain is good, sloppy fun. Do Bondcliff -- Juniper and I did that one in the rain a few weeks ago and had a blast. You're never that far away from a dry car so what's the big deal.

-Dr. Wu

Forget about two 4000 fters...

What recommendations do you have for a three sided shelter that I could use as a base camp.

If you had to find a shelter to set up base camp for two nights with goal of hitting two 4000 footers without views...is it doable in the whites and if yes, where?
Almost every 48 peak has views somewhere, maybe not at the summit. Generally, the lower the summit, the less likely you are to be exposed, with the glaring exception of Isolation! :D

Hiking in the rain is good, sloppy fun. Do Bondcliff -- Juniper and I did that one in the rain a few weeks ago and had a blast. You're never that far away from a dry car so what's the big deal.

-Dr. Wu

I did it in a driving rain with 20 mile winds in late october in 2001. NO THANK YOU. We stayed at Guyot - arrived at 4:00pm after almost walking down the wrong side of bond - in a white out. I will never forget the trip. Hikers were pulling into the full shelter at 9:00 at night forced to set up tents on platforms. At that time the temp had dropped to about 33 degrees.

I did it in a driving rain with 20 mile winds in late october in 2001. NO THANK YOU. We stayed at Guyot - arrived at 4:00pm after almost walking down the wrong side of bond - in a white out. I will never forget the trip. Hikers were pulling into the full shelter at 9:00 at night forced to set up tents on platforms. At that time the temp had dropped to about 33 degrees.
I don't know -- that sounds like wicked fun trip to me but I guess people have different tastes. I personally think that hiking in bad weather can be just as much fun if not more. Besides, it's summer time -- temps won't drop that low. Last time I stayed at the Guyot shelter, temps were down to 40 F and we were soaked from the rain -- I didn't even bring a sleeping bag so I was cold that night. But it was probably the most memorable backpack ever.

-Dr. Wu

I remember that Bonds trip, Dr. Wu, and it was kinda fun to have such a hail of a time from Zealand to Guyot. I'm in agreement that hiking in the rain can be enjoyable, but I'm not so sure I'd want to have to set up a tent when it was pouring. Brian and I completed the Baldface Circle loop in heavy rain last summer and it was great, though a little scarey on the climb up from the shelter on the slick ledges.

A friend wrote a poem about hiking in the rain and I love this line from it:

"I like the rain to drench my face and trickle off my chin."

We'll probably head to the beach...

I did the Kinsmans in rain and fog.There is a nice shelter at the pond, which is beautiful.
We had a great time,despite the zero visability, and I recommend it. Unfortunately, the Fishin' Jimmy has some steep slippery rocks, but we did them without a problem. I think the Kinsman Pond trail is mostly running water in any weather. Never did it.
Lonesome lake Hut is on the way. Duck in there for shelter, warmth and soup.
We added margaritas to that and had a ball. I plan to hit the Kinsmans when the weather is clear (if that ever happens). That is why we have rain gear right?
Hey, you are in the woods! Forget wet.
Hope this helps
Sandy

Heck ! Just go do what you were going to do. Savor the experience.
If it really sucks, you'll appreciate the good weather days that much more.

Think how good it's going to feel when you change at the end of the day and have a cup of hot chocolate or whatever.

Me ? I'm camping Friday and Saturday and hiking Gray and Skylight.

Ditto Dreamfarmer;
BTW, the weather in the Whites can change on a dime, and it doesn't always tell the weatheren doing the prediction!
s

Where, hiking of course, no crowds, no bugs.....

I'll be on the trails Friday & Saturday this weekend....:D:eek:

I second the recommendation of the Kinsmans with a stay at Kinsman Pond Shelter - there's your 3-sided shelter, and recently rebuilt too. If Fishin' Jimmy sounds miserable, you could take Basin-Cascade to Cascade Brook to Kinsman Pond trail. Although that could be not much fun either if it's wet. And the stream crossing of Cascade Brook could be dicey...but if you're planning on hiking on a rainy weekend, clearly you're not expecting ideal conditions.

I have done it for a night

Hit North Kingsman and the cannon balls. If I go back I have to hit cannon, but I really don't want to go over the balls again. Does anyone no anything about the coppermine shelter near the waterfall?

Sawyer Pond

I was thinking about setting up base camp at Sawyer pond and day hiking the tripyramids one day and then doing hancocks the next. Need to work out distances. Any thoughts.

I've been to Coppermine shelter (but didn't stay there) in May 2008. Nice shelter but not quite as big as Kinsman Pond shelter if I remember correctly.

Also, if you're going to do the Tri-Pyramids on a rainy weekend, I'd use the Pine Bend Brook trail off the Kanc. Sabbaday Brook trail, with it's 7-or-so crossings, will probably be tough.

I think I am giving up on the shelter

Is the IMP Shelter any good?

The current forecast holds out some hope for a dry weekend the father north you go. With a coastal low, generally heading northwest of the bulk of the white mountains is your best shot as the mountains tend to form a barrier to the weather from the coast.

He he he...thus the reason we are going to Kathadin Monday, Tues, and Wed...(let's hope they don't change where that low's going...);)