Wapack trail Watatic to Windblown ski are NH 9.2 miles. The best laid plans of mice and men.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Me and a friend, a super nice lady I've hiked with for over two years now off and on, decided to start the Wapack trail on Thursday. I almost backed out, as I worked till 100am the night before and didn't sleep well, but I figured, it's the Wapack and she is slow anyway, I'll just take my time and relax. The hike started out quite casual and it continued that way until we came to the ridge. The ascent up Pratt was fairly steep, but nothing for the standard White mountain hiker. After summiting, it got warm and my dog was panting in his winter coat, I kept hydrating him and figured we would be off in a few hours no problem, The best laid plans......... Just after the summit of Stoney Top, I was ahead of my partner out of eyesight, when I heard a yell. I ran back and found her on the ground holding her knee. I helped her up and she was not feeling good on it at all. I suggested walking on it to evaluate it and she was willing. 5 minutes later she said "forget it, I'm done" and my heart sank. She said, "I'm calling for a rescue." I didn't feel it was my place to stop her, so she dialed the 911. To her dismay and my utter joy, the call failed to go through. She said, what do we do? I gave her two options, 1. Wait and I will go for help or 2. I could carry all the gear and she could hang on to me and I would get her out, it wouldn't be fun, but I could do it. She replied, there is no way I'm staying alone a bear would get me:eek:, option 2 wins. I rigged the packs, (thank you shoulder season loads that were fairly heavy combined) we both ate and drank something and off we went. The best laid plans............ WE moved at a glacial pace, but by God we were moving, I helped her on all the steep sections, braced her for many steps and held her on every slab. Seeing the summit of Barrett mountain almost broke her, she said, "no way I can do it". I looked at her and said, you can and you will, she said ok. Somehow we walked and I kept talking about everything from the middle east conflict to the price of gas, we talked and walked, she yelped occasionally, I held her and spoke the encouraging word. Somehow we made it down, many hours later before dark. My dog never left our side and never acted up once, he walked step by step with us. I drove her to her car in Mass and gave her big hug. I told her most people never know what they can do, because they are civilized and never get tested, you are lucky, you got to find out. I was incredibly proud of her. Section 1 of the Wapack trail is in the books. The best laid plans.......

Great story. You start together and you finish together, one way or another. I'm glad it had a happy ending and I hope the injury is not so severe as to take her off the trails for very long. You've got big shoulders, metaphorically and literally. Well done.

With regard to frivolous, questionable or unnecessary rescue calls, I read a story in the NYT about a guy who called for a rescue in the ADKs. He was out of water and said he wanted two bottles of Fiji brand water. The dispatcher told him he was calling SAR and not Door Dash. I guess it would have been unprofessional, but I would have just hung up on him.

Did you need to render any first aid to keep her mobile?
We had a knee brace which she used. I had a bottle of Advil which really would have helped, but she cant take Ibuprofen and she didn't carry a substitute.

These are the true moments of what selfies are made of before finding the keypad.

Well done sir. You forgot Option 3 though. Field amputation, building a prosthetic leg out of twigs and twine, and finishing as planned.