XCountry Skiis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Metsky said:
Something like the Karhu Pinnacle if you think you'll be in tracks or the GT if you don't think you'll be in tracks much. The waxless pattern of the Karhus is pretty good compared to similar skis by Fischer, which I also like but have in waxable version.
I agree with Dave--on paper these look like pretty good skis for you.

FWIW, my waxless are a older version of Karhu 10th Mtn skis and I'm pretty happy with them. On paper they look pretty similar to the Pinnacles.

Doug

Well, IndianChris... you've heard it all now & its time to surrender & accept reality. Just like you bought a kayak, you WILL be getting at least one more. Skis are the same way. Go out & get a pair of waxless boards, preferably with metal edges but don't fret it they don't, for you WILL be getting another pair... and another. Its like a drug, but I think its more expensive.

AMF said:
Well, IndianChris... you've heard it all now & its time to surrender & accept reality. Just like you bought a kayak, you WILL be getting at least one more. Skis are the same way. Go out & get a pair of waxless boards, preferably with metal edges but don't fret it they don't, for you WILL be getting another pair... and another. Its like a drug, but I think its more expensive.
I couldn't agree more. I was offering a good "first setup." Skiing is all about building a quiver. I have 10 pairs of "active" skis, and no, I don't have a problem. :D

Chris - If you decide on metal edges, Dave's suggestion of the Karhu Pinnacle would be the best choice.

IndianChris said:
The Karhu Nomad boots look pretty good for what I think I'll be using them for (maybe a little on the light side) but unfortunately like was said, they're not made anymore.

If you are still interested in the Nomad the Garmont Tour is an nice alternative. I've skied both boots and I think you will find that the Garmont is a bit beefier than the Nomad. While you are looking at the Garmont page note the Excursion also. I know you thought the T3 was more than you needed but as you build your Quiver take a look at the Excursion as IMO is a better boot.

Unless you plan on doing tele turns, I think a plastic boot is overkill for Chris' requirements. A good leather or combo boot will tour much better and be lighter. I love my Excursions, but for easy backcountry touring they're more then you need.

David Metsky said:
Unless you plan on doing tele turns, I think a plastic boot is overkill for Chris' requirements. A good leather or combo boot will tour much better and be lighter.
Agreed.

I have both Scarpa T3 (plastic) and Asolo Snowfield II (above the ankle leather) boots. I use the T3s for Tele turns and the Snowfields for BC and track skiing. If I use the T3s on a route that is partially XC, then I have to loosen the uppers for the XC part. The Snowfields are so comfortable, that I'm perfectly happy to wear them for the 3-hour drive as well as the skiing. (No way would I do that with the T3s.)

Might even take the Snowfields out for a spin tonight or tomorrow in all that lovely white stuff that is piling up outside...

Doug

Wow Skiguy, that Tour is looking SWEEEEET. Looks a lot like my Merrell Wilderness hiking boot. I'm liking it a lot. Just hoping I can keep the whole package down to about $250.

The Excursion looks a little too heavy duty (?).

Could you give me a little input on how the 3 pin set-up is related to this "75mm" I keep hearing about? What is the 75mm a measure of?

You guys are great and I'm still reading up on all the posts. Thanks for all the responses! THANKS!!!

Indianchris,
I think you live down by NYC.
There are several stores in that area you can visit to get info. There are several other ski areas where you can rent skis to try out xc skiing before you buy.

bikehikeskifish said:
Depends on how you define expensive. I dropped $500+ after a 40% year-end discount on Salomon Equipe 10s, Fischer Boots, Salomon Pilot bindings and Swix CT3 composite poles. That's more than I paid for my alpine equipment.

Tim

I think that's a bit *overkill* for a complete novice/someone just trying it out. He can spend a couple hundred and be just fine! no need to go for the supreme high end stuff if he doesn't even know if he likes to ski, no?

IndianChris said:
Could you give me a little input on how the 3 pin set-up is related to this "75mm" I keep hearing about? What is the 75mm a measure of?
Same thing. 75mm is the width of the duckbill (the forward extension of the sole) at the pin line. The formal name is 75 mm Nordic Norm.

You guys are great and I'm still reading up on all the posts. Thanks for all the responses! THANKS!!!
This is just the new version of the "what ski should I buy" thread that occurs about this time every year... :)

Some previous threads of interest:
* Calling all backcountry skiing experts: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14065
* cc skiing: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16191
* Favorite Mountain Ski Approach: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15763
* Skins with Nordic BC: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16556

Doug

Last edited:
75 mm is the width of the boot sole at the toe end. (EDIT: Well, actually at the pin line, as DP has so rightly noted.)

The Garmont Tour rests somewhere between pinnah's "Snowfield" and "Extreme" classes (which are named after two former Asolo boots with leather uppers.)

I have both the Extreme and the Snowfield II. The Extreme gives better turning control and more warmth; the Snowfield is lighter and a little more flexible for striding. The Excursion class is the next step up from the Extreme class in stiffness -- more turning control and less comfort in striding, from the use of a plastic shell.

From what I've seen of your responses here, the Garmont Tour and its ilk could be a good choice for you.

Last edited:
skiguy said:
If you are still interested in the Nomad the Garmont Tour is an nice alternative. I've skied both boots and I think you will find that the Garmont is a bit beefier than the Nomad. While you are looking at the Garmont page note the Excursion also. I know you thought the T3 was more than you needed but as you build your Quiver take a look at the Excursion as IMO is a better boot.

Agreed on all criticalness about plastic versus leather.Not to get defensive but My original post on this thread was to turn Indian Chris onto the Garmount Tour.The suggestion of the Excursion vs. the T3 was only meant for future reference for the potential of quiver building . I knew I should have stayed out of this one. Good Luck Chris....By the way I find the tour to fit like my old Leather Merrels on the shelf.

David Metsky said:
Unless you plan on doing tele turns, I think a plastic boot is overkill for Chris' requirements. A good leather or combo boot will tour much better and be lighter. I love my Excursions, but for easy backcountry touring they're more then you need.

I do tele turns in my SNS pilots, leathers and plastics...depends where I'm at.....ya know snow....terrain whatever...not to mention parallels :)

carla said:
I think that's a bit *overkill* for a complete novice/someone just trying it out. He can spend a couple hundred and be just fine! no need to go for the supreme high end stuff if he doesn't even know if he likes to ski, no?

Probably is. I started out at about $350 for my first complete outfit (new), having learned on rentals. It does illustrate one end of the spectrum, doesn't it?

Tim

Last edited:
Multi-Purpose Boots?

Great stuff, but here's a question I didn't see answered:

Scenario: Ski in to a back-country site (Wallface Lean-To or approaching the Bonds), set up camp and complete the hike on snowshoes or other traction.

When it's time to take off the skis and put on something else (crampons, snowshoes, a sleeping bag), what do you do about boots? Do you wake up to ski boots? Does this mean you'll use beefier boots than you would if skiing only (neither route is really that extreme)? Do you (no way) pack a pair of pac boots?

How do you handle combining skiing with another aspect of hiking, where your feet are concerned?

Thanks for all the great beta!

Plastic touring boots are pretty good for hiking/snowshoeing/cramponing, the later to a limited degree. I wouldn't hesitate to do that in my Garmont Excursions if the skiing was relaxed, or my Garmont Syner-Gs if the skiing called for a bit more control on the descents.

My 3-pin leather (Snowfield) XC boots are also ok for hiking and snowshoeing. Perhaps a bit flexible for cramponing. They are also not as warm as my hiking boots.

For camping, bring booties. (You will probably need to keep your XC boots or liners warm in your sleeping bag overnight to prevent them from freezing.)

Doug

I fit my crampons and snowshoes to my plastic expedition boots. They are a double-boot, insulated, and suprisingly flexible. A bit clunky, but not too bad. Agree on the camp booties. A must.

So it seems if you're going to overnight, you need to have boots hefty enough to keep you warm in the morning. I see that the plastic AT boots have liners, but the "Snowfield"-type ones just have to clunk around in the sleeping bag.

I'm about to upgrade from skinny skis to BC, but I don't really need the big Garmonts yet. You think a guy could use Stabilicers, snowshoe and camp in a Karhu XCD Traverse?

Don't wanna carry extra boots; don't wanna hike in big ol' plastic (kind of a Limmer guy). I've got the booties, but I don't wanna freeze in the morning.

What would you buy?

Thanks for the responses!