Sapblatt's 48th - Update 10/8/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Well...after 48 e-mails each MEB and me decided that just because it is my 48th tomorrow we should not throw away a career of safe hiking and smart decision making. That being said the weather forecast is changing the plan for my 48th tomorrow on Mount Jackson. The highwinds and 1-3 inches of rain have made the Edmand's Path to Webster Cliff traverse seem crazy...the new and final plan is...

MEB and I (and anyone who wants to be there) are meeting at the Highland Center at 7:30AM to gorge on their all you can eat breakfast. By 8:30 I would expect others to be there (and I will need a nap) and we will finalize our plans which will be either:

1) Up and back on the Webster Jackson Trail - Jackson branch

OR

2) Crawford Path out to Mizpah Hut and then back to Jackson and down...it will all depend upon the weather, of course...

This later start will eliminate the Ike/Pierce idea...

Mooseland afterwards is still the deal...

Hope too see all of you tomorrow morning...in rain gear! :D

Anyone who is interested... I'll still go over Eisenhower.

I have to practice getting rained on for the hikes I'm doing Sunday and Monday!

-Dr. Wu

ShizzMac and BoB will be staying at the Highlife Center.

Last edited:
sapblatt said:
Well...after 48 e-mails each MEB ....Hope too see all of you tomorrow morning...in rain gear! :D

Your both nuts! Scarey thought that the two of you are scheming to get everyone else to join you on such a crazy adventure.

But - since we never listened when our parents told us to "come out of the rain", I guess we will see you tomorrow morning. Look for us at 8:30.

Well, I'm sitting here listening to the rain POUNDING on the skylights and thinking about all you folks.

Hope you're having fun! On a 4 day hike I took with my kids a few years ago, my son's favorite day was the one where it rained all day. Go figure.

So have a beer for me at Mooseland while you're drying off. ;)

Ya'll are crazy. I'm cuddled up at home with the cats and it is *pouring* outside. I hope everyone stays safe!

Did 8 miles in the rain this morning on the NRRT :) . Other than that fun slog, I am chilling out listening to the pounding rain. Tomotrrows hike has laready been washed out.... :( Post some pics from your #48!

Starbucks in Nashua is where I'm heading to later!! :)

He did it!!!

The weather appears to have been much worse in the southern part of the state than it was in the mountains!!

13/14 of us joined Mike today at the Highland Center, some for breakfast, before we made our way up the Crawford Path and over to the summit of Jacskon. Mike celebrated in style with a bottle of scotch. The weather was a little wet, but it never too rained hard when it did rain, which was only about half the time - we even had intermitent views of Tom, Willey, and Pierce from the summit. We stayed on the summit for 30 minutes enjoying the views and feeding the grey jays.

Hiker Bob, Geri and I then descended via the Webster/Jackson trail, while the rest returned to the Crawford path to descend. We stopped at the cascade where Geri showed Hiker Bob the Flourescent Moss she had found on an earlier hike. We all arrived back at the Highland Center at the same time.

We all went back to the Mooseland Grill for a drinks, dinner, and more story telling.

Congrats to Mike for #48 - he finally got to learn the secret handshake :>

Didn't bring the cable to download from the camera, so pics will have to wait a few days, but did get a bunch I will post early in the week.

Congratulations on your 48th, good for you. And a very happy birthday, welcome to the 40's, it only gets better from here. That's what they say, anyway. I've always wondered who "they" are, and how "they" know this. :)

Thank you all for a great day! The weather was tolerable as the wind and the cold held off - it was about 20 degrees colder today than yesterday.

I will write one of my book length trip reports later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again to all of my hiking friends who attended or wished me well - it has been a great ride, and it is only the beginning!!

sapblatt said:
Its only water...and you won't melt!

Well...at least that what my parents always told me...funny though - never saw them out in the rain much! :D

Glad you didn't melt! :D Congratulations!