Too Much! - Glen Boulder, Lakes, Monroe, Boott Spur - 7/1/2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Day from hell
New speed record
Bataan Death March
Will it ever end?
Three miles down Boott Spur = three hours
Leave house at 3am - get home at 10:30 pm
Mentally toughest hike I have ever done
50 + mph wind
Thunder
Rain (downpour/monsoon variety)
Tough day
Rols' road walk back for car
Would do it all over again in a second

Rols picked me up at 3am (new car is still in the shop...) and we headed up fo the Glen Ellis lot to meet LarryD for 6am...by the time we got it all together and started moving it was about 6:25. Weather was beautiful for July - about 60 degrees, light wind, mostly sunny.

We headed up the Glen Boulder Trail (new one for me and Larry - Rols had done it before - saditically, he brought his kids up it when they were young!) The lower parts were a little wet and the there were a couple of interesting scrambles a little below "the Rock." Those types where you cannot put your foot where you want to. I briefly paniced :eek: until Larry slapped me - well, actually he told me what to do and it went well. The boulder is impressive - even more so than it is looking from route 16. We took a brief break there and enjoyed the views before heading on towards Slide Peak.

This part of the hike is when we first realized it may be windy today. As we got on the ridge the wind became quite steady - lower down it was probably in the 30 mph range. As we made our way along the ridge Larry's hat jettisoned off his head and down into the gulf. It was his favorite K-Mart cotton ball cap and we will be setting up a fund at a later date to get him a new one. :D Wind kept a coming as we turned onto the Davis Path - this stretch is nice as the grades are gentle and the wind is at your back. We made good time over towards the Camel Trail. I should mention we had no real agenda today beyond going up Glen Boulder and down Boott Spur. So be the great logical thinkers that we are, we head over to Lakes and decide to skip Washington and we take a quick run up Monroe. The wind was fierce coming across the plateau on the Camel Trail, but going up Monroe was easy until the summit where the wind was quite strong. We descended back to Lakes and observed a bare foot hiker (too each their own :confused: ) and had lunch and refilled some water before heading back to Boott Spur.

The worst wind of the day was during the return via the Camel Trail and Davis Path. I was constantly moving to the right side of the trail just to be pushed back to the left side. It was at this point we started getting real silly - which on the surface seems silly, but it really helped keep you mentally focused on the descent by making light of the situation. Some of our better tactics were Larry's ability to create new profanity - sometimes all of the swears that you know just cannot cover the feelings of the situation! :D We also theorized what the names of the various Presi's would be had the Germans won the war (next time we may try the Japanese.) In the end, it was best that they lost.

Finally on the Boott Spur Trail for the three hour quad burn. This trail is so incredibly beautiful and about as steep as you can get without being a slide or a headwall. The clouds were speeding by over Tuck's as we slowly descended. The one plus here was that as we dipped down the wind stopped - nothing like a 5500 foot wind breaker! As the day from hell contined the steepness kept going, the clouds kept rolling and of course, the rain ( 0 % chance of rain today) came down hard. The add a little extra color and flavor to the day we had a dozen or so thunderclaps mixed in. On the plus side, the heavy rain did not come until we got into the trees, and the thunder did not seem to be on top of us (famous last words.)

We continued our slog down the wet rocks, narrow trail, slippery roots, drenched bogs and greased ladder. When I said this was the mentally toughest hike I had ever had I was referring to the idea that when you have been out for so many hours and every rock and root is like ice it is tough to just stay focused and to truly give a damn about each step. It is tempting to try and go faster and ignore the slipperyness, but a serious fall awaited at almost every step on the way down... Eventually we hit Shangra La - well, actually the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and took it quickly down to Pinkham. Rols walked to Glen Ellis to get the car - after 12 hours out we decided that the Diretissima would have to wait for another day.

As for the speed record, well, you may not know this but our group set the all time slow speed record for this hike. 10.5 miles, 4200 feet elevation, 12 hours. It has never been hiked that slow before. We hope to challenge ourselves and our record and do it even slower next time - at least we got to enjoy all of the views.

LarryD and Rols - thank you for another great hike. I really did get the hiccups because I was laughing so hard! And Rols - thanks for the ride - I do not know how you do it - cafeine perhaps!

Sounds like a full day. :D

Did you take the Boott Spur Cut-off down into Tuckerman Ravine? That's a really steep trail, but the rest of Boott Spur isn't that bad, as I recall.

-dave-

Sounds like a quite an epic time above treeline. The weather in the valley was pretty good all day.So many a time I look up that way and I am always reminded of how the Presies are there own weather world. Glad you had a good time!

You guys crack me up! You are friggin' nuts _ in a fun sorta way...

So ... if the Germans had won the war, what would that make Mt. Washington???

LarryD: sorry about your beloved baseball cap. RIP

A great trip report about a great hike. The Glen Boulder trail is a route not to be missed. It is a wonderful way to get to the Davis Path and from there the options are numerous...Isolation...Washington....Monroe. The views are terriffic and they start early (just below Glen Boulder itself). Glen Boulder is eye catching from route 16 but it is even more impressive standing beside it.
It had been several years since I had been up Glen Boulder and it was one of the few cases where my memory didn't serve justice to the hike.

Boott Spur was equally impressive. Views into Tucks and across to Lion's Head are impressive and continuous. The new ladder up the one rock scramble (near the bottom of the trail) makes the ascent much easier (it's new...it wasn't there last year). For my money...the Glen Boulder/Boott Spur loop is my favorite loop hike in the Whites.

What made the descent dangerous was not the rain, the mud, the flowing water down the trail or the greasy rocks...it was trying to hike while you are laughing so hard that your eyes are filled with tears. My sides still ache from the many "insights" about the trail made by Larry & Mike. I never thought hiking in such conditions could be such fun. It was just another reminder as to the advantage of hiking with great companions.

It was another memorable day in the Whites

Great trip report! I've yet to do that section of trail. Now I really want to do it. Thanks for sharing. :D

Great trip report Mike!! :D It made me chuckle!! I absolutely love the Glen Boulder trail. I remember leaving Lakes one morning before sunrise and arriving at the Glen Boulder Trail right as the sun was rising, I sat there for quite some time just soaking in the beauty of the day, it's one of my most favorite memories :)
kmac

Each time I have descended the Boott Spur I have said, “Never again!” So why do I say “each” time. :(

Glen Boulder trail I love. That little scramble before the Boulder is even more interesting in winter. :D

sapblatt said:
As the day from hell contined the steepness kept going, the clouds kept rolling and of course, the rain ( 0 % chance of rain today) came down hard. The add a little extra color and flavor to the day we had a dozen or so thunderclaps mixed in. On the plus side, the heavy rain did not come until we got into the trees, and the thunder did not seem to be on top of us (famous last words.)
you missed out on the hail then? (some came through for about 10 minutes between Lakes Hut & Mt Washington shortly after 4pm)

after 12 hours out we decided that the Diretissima would have to wait for another day.
Don't save it, this is one of the few trails that next time I'd pass over in favor of a road walk.

glad you enjoyed the hike, this area is one of my favorites.