Historical Post on Iron Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Iron Mountain has always been one of my favorite mountains. I find it to be really intriguing because it is so rich in history. I did some research on the mountain and wrote up a quick history, or at least what I could piece together. If you're interested, my post is at the following address:

http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/2011/11/some-history-on-iron-mountain.html

I also want to thank 1HappyHiker for helping me out with some of the information!

I hope you enjoy! I had fun writing it.
Karl

Meserves Trail

Karl

I have b/w the ridge that goes over Green Hill.

I say b/w because there are only occasional vague remnants of a trail.

Jim

I have b/w the ridge that goes over Green Hill.

I say b/w because there are only occasional vague remnants of a trail.
I climbed Iron Mtn in the late 70s, at that time there was a line of cairns heading toward Green Mtn but it was late in the day and I figured I'd come back soon to explore that way [my how time flies]

As to the survey marker, it is not unusual for the main mark to be a drill hole for a plumb bob with a triangle chiseled around it rather than a disk - follow the arrow to a likely high rock and look for it. Also, RM are usually in pairs at right angles so you can look for the 2nd one and if found that should give a good location for the main one.
example: http://img.geocaching.com/benchmark/lg/bf7dffa3-804a-4543-8bcd-b3d7f85c62a6.jpg

Thanks everyone, for the kind comments!

TDawg - Thanks, I'm a huge fan of the anything regarding the Whites and history. I hope to do some more of these little research projects soon. I'll keep you all posted if I do!

DougPaul - Thanks, I hadn't seen this VFTT post. I did site one from 1HappyHiker in my post. The Jericho Road one you noted is pretty interested to read too. Thanks for pointing it out!

JacobH - Thanks. I hope you do check it out. It's a good little mountain. It's worth the climb.

Peakbagger - Thanks!

Tito Alba - Thanks!

JimC - So did you make it all the way down to Duck's Head from the summit? Looks like a long trek on the map. What kinds of evidence of a trail did you find? Any cairns, blazes, etc?

RoySwkr - Sound like you need to get back up there and finish your trek from 1970, over to Duck's Head. Also, thanks for the info on the Benchmark. Check out the below picture. This is from South Moat. I had no idea it was a Benchmark or Triangulation Station...is this kind of what you were talking about?

205120_1726204392462_1158978130_31543633_1756662_n.jpg

Sound like you need to get back up there and finish your trek from 1970, over to Duck's Head.

Also, thanks for the info on the Benchmark. Check out the below picture. This is from South Moat. I had no idea it was a Benchmark or Triangulation Station...is this kind of what you were talking about?

205120_1726204392462_1158978130_31543633_1756662_n.jpg

There's a lot of car-spot hikes I never seem to get to, like Dickey-Tecumseh where the woman who was interested moved to Martha's Vineyard...

That looks very much like an old survey mark. Often there will be another set of 3 holes in a triangle maybe 5 feet out, sometimes with metal rods in them - those were anchors for the survey stands. Check out Tecumseh next time you're there.