1/28 marcy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Date of Hike: sat 1/28

Trail Conditions: Soft ice up to phelps trail head (temp was around freezing point) then more and more snow, put the snowshoes on from table top jct. From there it's a mix of snow and ice crust. the crust gets ticker as you go up. the alpine zone is very icy. my snowshoes did great (tubbs flex alp, up and down).

Special Equipment Required: used micro traction and snowshoes. migth have been safer to bring the ice axe for the way down in the alpin zone. Saw a lot of poeple going up with crampon but stayed in snowshoes has the crust gave away in some place and to benefit from the heel raiser. no place for micro traction in the alpine zone, especialy on the way down.

Comments: great day out there today with a slendid, sunny but very windy view from the top. please bring and use the snowshoes where there's enought snow. saw a lot of post holes along the trail. It was my first post IRENE treck in the area. I want to congratulate the crews for the trail work. I was amaze at the damage on van hoevenberg tr. between the dam and phelps jct. Marcy br. crossing was open water and the route finding is a little tricky.

Your name:fmarier