1st Backcountry Ski Question for the Season/Bindings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following the advice of last years thread on plastic boots for backcountry skiing (here) , I think I got a good deal on some garmont liberos from sierra trading post.
I was even more amazed that they had my size.

Any recommendations on cheaper bindings? I will not be resort skiing in these, just winter camping along many of the places mentioned in the backcountry ski books describing trails in New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire. I also need climbing bars.

Thanks.

If cheap is the key word, than Voile makes a three pin cable binding that's pretty economical--the 60-80 dollar range.
I learned to telemark on these bindings. I've since made the move to a binding that offers more control, but the cost is significantly higher.

Nadine

For touring, I'd go with the Volie 3-pins with the removable cables. They give enough control for non-lift skiing and you can remove the cables for climbing to save some effort.

I've used climbing bars and while occasionally useful, I've found very few trips where they were really needed. You can by add-ons and just use them for your heel pieces.

-dave-

Voile 3 Pins w/ removable cables will definitely be the way to go. It's a solid and economical tour and turn option.

I agree with Dave on the climbing bars. If you're doing long, steep skins, they do help. But, that doesn't sound like what you're looking for. They can become and annoying and throw off your balance if you're using them on terrain that isn't steep enough.

BTW, all this talk of skiing is making me drool. :D

The choice is between plain pins (Rottefella or Voile) or 3-pin/Cable (Voile). Which is better for you depends on your intended use, the weight of the ski and your preferances. Of the 7 "backcountry" skis in my basement, 4 have plain pins and 3 have the 3PC. In all honestly, I prolly use the cables less than 20% of the time and that is almost entirely restricted to skiing at ski areas.

More detailed opinions are here:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-bindings.html

In terms of climbing bars, I believe that most Voile bindings are shipping with a new, thicker heel piece that will readily accept their cheap $10 add-on climbing bar. As others have noted, I would hold off on that purchase though. Better to invest in climbing skins, imo.

Last edited:
You can usually find used cable bindings of various types on e-bay for a good price.
ecc